Existing Member?

Family Travels

If the Kids Kept Score: Belize 2, Guatemala 0

BELIZE | Saturday, 23 August 2008 | Views [757]

Lori relaxing on the veranda of our cabana on Caye Caulker.

Lori relaxing on the veranda of our cabana on Caye Caulker.

As I mentioned in my previous post, Belize has been a nice change of pace for us. However, Elena and Jarrett have taken this to an extreme, and now look back on Guatemala as torture.

It didn't help that the temperature has been going down every day since we got here, giving the impression that Belize is always sunny and comfortable, but Guatemala is unbearably hot. The truth is, on the day when it neared 100 degrees in Flores, it was nearly 100 degrees on Caye Caulker too, but the facts don't seem to get in the way of their forming their convictions.

It also didn't help that we intentionally booked a nicer place here, since we intended to stay here the longest, and planned to spend a lot more time lounging around our hotel. The cost of living in Belize is among the highest in Central America, so we're paying US$70/night here.

What do we get for that? We get a nice cabana on a sandy lot, hot water, A/C, satellite TV, fridge, microwave, 1 liter/person of bottled water/day, a little sitting area, and a nice veranda with chairs and a hammock. The grounds also has bikes we can use around town, and several other nice lounging areas, including a two-story palapa-roofed gazebo, hammocks, etc. The best part is the owner, Louise, who's been super helpful, friendly and accommodating, and has the coolest Caribbean accent. When the kids set foot in this place, it was another round of high fives, and the dissing of Guatemala began.

The final unfair advantage fell to Belize again, when we told the kids that Louise wants us to flush soiled toilet paper here, instead of putting it in the little wastebasket next to the toilet, as is the norm in Guatemala, most of the rest of Belize, and most of the developing world. She's confident in her septic system and the toilet paper she provides. As far as Elena and Jarrett were concerned, that put Belize way over the top. Our first dinner in Belize included some reality checks from Mommy and Daddy and a few rounds of "What we appreciated most about Guatemala." I think flushing the TP still won.

About rarakaki

Rod and Lori in Tibet, 1994.

Follow Me

Where I've been

Favourites

Photo Galleries

Highlights

My trip journals



 

 

Travel Answers about Belize

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.