Existing Member?

Family Travels

On Packing Light

BELIZE | Thursday, 21 August 2008 | Views [500] | Comments [1]

Walking across the border between Guatemala and Belize, carrying all our packs in the heat (our shuttle in the back).

Walking across the border between Guatemala and Belize, carrying all our packs in the heat (our shuttle in the back).

We're still carrying our 20-year old REI travel packs. While they have backpack straps and hip belts, we keep them tucked away and mainly use them as big shoulder bags, with nice, highly-padded shoulder straps. Lori's carrying one in the photo above. With two of them, we can carry most of what we need for the four of us. There are so many times on a trip like this that luggage wheels are useless (like in the scene above). For that reason, carrying around the extra weight of wheels or a hard frame seems a waste most of the time. These old packs qualify as carry-ons, they carry a lot comfortably and add a minimum amount of their own weight. On this trip, Elena and Jarrett are each carrying day packs, mostly filled with things we want close to us - books, water, rain shells, hats, sunglasses, TP, first aid.

To keep everything as lightweight and efficient as possible, we also spent a small fortune at REI, mostly on lightweight, quick-drying clothing. Thanks to our friend Mary, who works at REI and gave us one of her Friends and Family Sale cards, we got 25% off of everything. Thanks, Mary! Also, thanks to Lori's mom, who hemmed all of our new pants for us the week before we left. Great job, Mom, everything has worked out really well!

Comments

1

I spent 17 days living out of a 22" carry-on with wheels and I was very proud of myself. But after seeing this, I bow to you guys and your shoulder packs. I think I need lessons on packing from you Arakakis.

  Pam Aug 22, 2008 4:05 PM

About rarakaki

Rod and Lori in Tibet, 1994.

Follow Me

Where I've been

Favourites

Photo Galleries

Highlights

My trip journals



 

 

Travel Answers about Belize

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.