Existing Member?

As the Wind Blows

Pause

AUSTRALIA | Monday, 6 February 2012 | Views [656]

When most people travel, I suppose it’s like pressing the Pause button on their lives. While everyone else’s lives lumber on, they stop working, studying, socialising, playing sports, exercising, dieting and whatever else is close to their hearts. (Bills and taxes are unfortunately are not so easy to pause . .  ) However they replace these seemingly mundane activities with adventure, new experiences, new foods and observing/participating in how other cultures lives lumber on.

For me the last three months have been the opposite. Instead of pausing my real life, I paused my travelling life, and found real life to be quite a novelty.

I suppose being away from home, family, friends and work colleagues and the like for eight months made me appreciate normalcy a lot more. Lunches, dinners, cooking actual meals and not increasingly creative sandwiches (I’m going to miss sardines, lettuce and corn kernels with bbq sauce and cheese), going to the movies, shopping and exercising (to attempt to slowly readjust my body to sitting around all day). Of course none of these included working and I’m sure I’ll quickly unappreciated normalcy once I return to work.

So I’m off again; this time to visit the motherland. I don’t expect be visiting many tourist attractions, they’ll still be there in another decade I’m sure, but I'll probably be spending more time visiting priceless treasures that may or may not be around the next time I visit. 

About rachthe1st


Follow Me

Where I've been

Photo Galleries

My trip journals



 

 

Travel Answers about Australia

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.