Existing Member?

As the Wind Blows

Week 22: In search of Beatrix Potter and Mr Darcy - The Lakes District and Lyme Park

UNITED KINGDOM | Tuesday, 16 August 2011 | Views [1034]

It rains an awful lot in Cumbria. Driving up, the rain was coming down at a 45 degree angle and as our host pointed out, it really did feel like we were driving through a vortex. A vortex into a place that time forgot. . . or more likely, it rains too much that no one wants to stay out long enough to change it. Actually the main reason that the Lakes District remains relatively untouched is because of Beatrix Potter (or Mrs Heelis as she’s less commonly known by,) who purchased a lot of land in the area and then handed it over to the National Trust to look after.  

The house that Beatrix Potter was inspired to write a lot of her stories is kept in pristine condition and includes trinkets and toys that were mentioned in her books. The over-enthusiastic guides even point out the rooms (and in the case of Samuel Whiskers the hole) in the house that were used in her stories.

If you don’t have much time in the area I would recommend visiting the Beatrix Potter World in Windermere, because it really brings the books to life! And somehow not only have they managed to put cute music to match the cute little models of all the animals, but it even smells like you’re in a forest or a farm. And the good thing about the exhibit, is that it’s inside so regardless of the weather you can enjoy Beatrix Potter World.

Enjoying The Lakes District on windy narrow roads in the rain is another matter. The roads are essentially one way, but they have tiny little car park type spaces at the side of the road every 50 metres or so, so if a car is coming in the opposite direction you can park so they can go past, or vice versa. This all sounds fine and good, but when it’s up steep, narrow, windy mountain roads in the rain and fog with sheep deciding the road is more pleasant than climbing the rocky terrain, it’s not such a relaxing journey.

The views at the top are amazing! It is so surreal to stand on top of the mountain passes and gaze at the valleys bellow. Despite the rain and the fog, it is an incredibly amazing part of the world!

Having watch the 1995 (Colin Firth) version of Pride and Prejudice numerous times, I couldn’t not go to Lyme Park where they shot the scenes of the outside of Pemberley. Not only was it exactly like the movie, the sun actually did shine for at least 10 minutes when we were over there! The inside was used for the filming of The Forsythe Saga, a show that I watched only once but I’m sure I’ll watch it again now I been where they filmed the series. The highlight of the visit was playing the 18th century piano in the hall. Although we’re not allowed to take photos of the home, we were allowed to play the piano. Strange eh?

So despite the rain and crazy driving antics (which I deliberately didn’t go into any detail on due to legal reasons), my visit to the Lakes District was quite educational, eye opening and gave me an insight into the life of another famous author. 

About rachthe1st


Follow Me

Where I've been

Photo Galleries

My trip journals



 

 

Travel Answers about United Kingdom

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.