Existing Member?

As the Wind Blows

Week 18: Which was spent living in a slot like manner

UNITED KINGDOM | Tuesday, 19 July 2011 | Views [474]

This week I ate, slept and in between watched a whole heap of movies. The end. Haha! So easily one week of my life can be dismissed because that’s the way I want to remember it. I could start being philosophical again, as I tend to become when I have nothing else to do, but that would be too dull and serious. So instead I’ll talk about my next favourite topic – Harry Potter!

After a miserably failing to see the world premiere of the final Harry Potter film last week, I was able to see the premiere of the actual movie at Leicester Square this week - the only reason being because I actually bought tickets to see it. The Leicester Square Odeon (as opposed to the Leicester Square West End Odeon) is the nicest cinema I’ve seen in the UK so far. We really take our cinemas back home for granted. London may have nice theatres, but they are shockingly behind in providing a good cinematic experience. Oh yeah, and I loved the last film! I didn’t think it was as good as Part 1, but that could have been because I was watching it at midnight and with 3D glasses on. Honestly, what is the point of 3D cinema? It’s no different to 2D cinema.

Thanks to the points I collected from multiple purchases of cinemas tickets, I was able to see X-Men: Last Stand for free! Whoo! Love a free movie! But I would have loved it anyway, because it’s X-Men!  And this time no famous actor’s agents threatened to pull her out of the movie if she didn’t get a bigger role, so didn’t have to kill off half the characters like they did in the last film and totally ruin it in the process.. . . l’ll never forgive Halle Berry for that! grrr!!

Away from action/adventure movies, I watched a whole heap of bollywood movies. Don’t ask me which ones, because they’re all melding into one now. There’s something extremely comforting in the predictable plot lines, the wiping away of non-existent tears and people randomly and non-sensically bursting into song and dance. If only life was like that! Well I suppose there are some Londoners who randomly burst into song, but everyone usually dismisses them as weirdos, because well, they usually are, or at least smell that way.

So apart from my two whole shifts at work (including an over-nighter - I’ve never seen Leicester Square so empty apart from Sunday morning) I've lived the indolent life of a slot. Why a slot? Well I’ve just started reading one of my presents (The Life of Pi), and in it the author describes the behaviour and characteristics of a slot; indolent, blurred vision (from all my movie watching, I’m sure I need to update my prescriptions!), not deaf, but not hearing because they can’t be bothered, and being vegetarian! :P Maybe I’m not all those things generally, but I thought it was an apt description for the past week and hopefully it will remind me not to repeat it in future.

:)

About rachthe1st


Follow Me

Where I've been

Photo Galleries

My trip journals



 

 

Travel Answers about United Kingdom

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.