Existing Member?

As the Wind Blows

Week 14: Prague, beautiful Prague

CZECH REPUBLIC | Saturday, 25 June 2011 | Views [728]

Ah Prague! What a photogenic city with amazing architecture, fabulous frescos, churches that literally took my breath away when I stepped into them and one extremely over statue’d bridge. No wonder Hitler didn’t want to bomb Prague, it’s just so beautiful! I went a tad snap happy and took 400 photos in three days. It would have been a lot more, but I forgot to charge my camera battery after the first day and my poor exhausted camera decided to die on me. Now I want to be a painter. I’ve never been into art or really looked twice at a painting, but after my visit I really want to learn how to paint. I feel like such a child when I say things like this because it feels like saying ‘I want to be a doctor’, ‘I want to be a lawyer’ or in the case of the tweenybopper generation ‘I want to be famous’. . .

When I came to London I was taken aback with how old buildings and other structures including graveyards were. Prague is a lot older. Don’t ask me how old because I don’t have a memory for numbers (yes, I realise the irony in that statement). But it's lucky that Hitler didn’t burn Prague, yet a lowly chef (supposedly) in the King’s kitchens managed to burn down London. I would say it’s a shame but I doubt the property developers of London as well as Londoners would prefer beautiful old buildings to tall, grey and now glass structures to live and work in.

Prague is in the Eastern Bloc which could be why everything is so cheap. You could eat and drink your way into obesity over there with all the excessively rich and delicious (well not so much the traditional) food. Well maybe you can’t eat your way to obesity as a tourist because you spend a lot of time walking around seeing the city and I mean a lot! So eating will just give you enough energy for the next day of walking. There is public transport, but not to every single street and to get to the best views of the city usually involves good old climbing up steep and narrow streets and/or a lot of stairs. Panoramic views are over-rated.

In my opinion, Prague Castle was impressive due to its size more than any other fact. Aside from the old Palace and the new section, it includes many other buildings such a cathedral that took over 500 years to complete (and I thought I was slow), an Art Gallery (which I only left because I was a tourist on a schedule), a museum and a Basilica. It’s definitely worth a visit just for the sheer fact that there’s so much to see! I won’t list every place I visited in Prague because that’s what the photos are for, but there are so many things that I didn’t get to do in Prague and I definitely plan to go back for more.

About rachthe1st


Follow Me

Where I've been

Photo Galleries

My trip journals



 

 

Travel Answers about Czech Republic

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.