Existing Member?

As the Wind Blows

Week 13: Part Eight – Cardiff and the Great British countryside

UNITED KINGDOM | Saturday, 18 June 2011 | Views [467]

The Millennium Centre

The Millennium Centre

After spending the week travelling through England, Scotland and Wales, I started to notice differences between the respective countryside’s. The English countryside is full of rolling green hillsides while the Scottish countryside is green and has lots of sheep (and I mean lots!), cows and if you’re lucky you may even spot some Highland Cows (pronounced Heeland Coos!) in the lowlands. The Welsh countryside like its neighbours is also green rolling hills, but these hills have an unkempt beauty about them with stone walls, hedges, random patches of woods, quarries and castles which also feature in the countryside so you can never get bored of just staring at the scenery.

The man who ran the pub back in Aberystwyth said that Cardiff was a huge city and I was expecting it to be along the same scale as London. I was pleasantly surprised to find that it wasn’t a thing like it. It was more like a smaller version of Sydney except it too, like many other places in Great Britain has a castle. I quite liked this castle from the onset as it had statues of random animals (with creepy eyes) along the walls and they did a fantastic job displaying their history to the public. I absolutely loved the Victorian part of the castle mainly because it was opulent and over the top and I could have stayed all day in admiring the wall paintings an stories in the stain glass windows in the Great Hall. The library looked just like the one in the Harry Potter game in the level that I just couldn’t get past. It brought back frustrating memories.

How could I have gone to Cardiff and not seen the Doctor Who Exhibition? Well quite frankly because the exhibition was closed. Hmph! I suppose the Doctor Who Experience opened in April in London because the Doctor Who Exhibition in Cardiff closed down in March and while I have seen the one in London,  it would have been much better to have seen  it in Cardiff. I did of course obsessively go to the Millennium Centre and also discovered the monument which is meant to be Torchwood Headquarters, so that was something.  And no, I couldn’t find the entrance to Torchwood. *sniff*

We stayed the night in a quaint little farmhouse with no phone reception in a tiny village on the just over the Welsh border in England. I felt as if I was on Escape to the Country and was looking for a place to live away from it all. Every house in that village (there would have only been around 20) had charming little gardens next to their charming little houses. The locals kept staring at us because we were obviously not one of the villagers but just passing through to our next and final destination on the England, Scotland and Wales road trip.

About rachthe1st


Follow Me

Where I've been

Photo Galleries

My trip journals



 

 

Travel Answers about United Kingdom

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.