Existing Member?

As the Wind Blows

Week 10 which was a rather uneventful week

UNITED KINGDOM | Monday, 23 May 2011 | Views [573]


On the rare occasion that I used to go away on holiday, or just away for the weekend, I used to really resent coming back to work, and I mean really resent it. I used to sit under a black cloud for weeks muttering under my breath, and if it wasn’t for my lovely colleagues I doubt I would have ever got out from under that cloud. I’m expecting this same feeling to hit me when I go back home, but for the time being, I’ve realised that one good thing about working a temp job in the catering industry is that you don’t know where you’re going to be at any given time. So there’s no time to wallow in the fact you’ve had to come back to reality. Though in my case it’s still not reality for me.

The most exciting even to happen this week was watching Eurovision in Europe!! It was great fun! And more so because I was able to vote for one of those crazy European pop stars. I voted for Moldova! Whoo! Well I couldn’t vote for anyone more serious, because that would have taken the fun out of the competition. For anyone who doesn’t follow Eurovision, they didn’t win, but that’s never the point of Eurovision, at least I don’t think it is.

So in addition to the places I’ve mentioned before, I’ve also worked at Andaz (a branch of the Hyatt with an extremely nice Masonic temple for a meeting room), Simpsons (it’s next to the Savoy, so it’s smaller but still quite fancy) and I’ve worked at cloakroom the nightclub in the W Hotel, which is quite fancy and the way nightclubs really ought to be. I don’t ever want to go there again though, because it’s not fun spending your Friday and Saturday night watching other people party and enjoy themselves.

This week I learnt the real meaning of shift work. Waking up one morning at 3am to go to work and a couple of days later going to bed at 3am after working a night shift. It completely throws out a person’s sleeping and eating pattern. I don’t like it! The only nice part is catching the Night Buses that go past some of London’s landmarks and seeing them at night. It's quite beautiful and definitely something you have to do when in London.

I suppose I can't really say the week was completely uneventful. My bus was diverted in the early hours of the morning on one shift and I found out later it was because of a bomb threat near the city centre, Me, in my naivity, thought the bus was being diverted because of road works, but apparently in London roadworks aren't important enough to divert a bus. So I suppose the joy of living in one of the most famous cities in the world is that there's always something going on, whether you're aware of it or not.

About rachthe1st


Follow Me

Where I've been

Photo Galleries

My trip journals



 

 

Travel Answers about United Kingdom

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.