Existing Member?

Peterstravels Leave nothing but footprints take nothing but photos and remember that souvenir is being carried for over 10000 miles!!

Northern and Eastern Points in EU and the Best View in Finland!

FINLAND | Thursday, 7 June 2012 | Views [524]

Lets me first say I’ve done a lot of driving these last few days, It’s a long way from Nourgam the most Northerly point in Finland and the EU. It is also so non-descript that all I’ll show you is the Town Sign! Then it was south to Inari to what was promised the best centre for information about the Sami native life style. Here a fantastic building was totally misused with uninteresting and poorly displayed material. The saving grace was the outdoor exhibits that were signed well and staged well! A prize for those of you who can tell me what the V formed tree was used for?  Further south I visited the much acclaimed and well presented Arktikum. Here I did learn more of the Sami people and also of the Arctic region. As a real treat, I was privy of an outstanding display of the Northern Lights! I mention here that there are an awful lots of trees and lakes in Finland and for 5 days now I have driven through forests interspersed with lakes with little or no interruption! It was waterfalls in Norway but lakes here. Today though I made it to Hattuvaara the eastern most village in the EU. I then drove 19kms of dirt track to the Eastern most point and got within 70mtres of Russia.  Apparently I should not have gone past the Yellow sign some 3 kms from that point, but you know me if it’s there let’s see it! Not impressive or commercialised but was worth the trip! Finally I made it to the top of Ukko-Koli overlooking Lake Pielinen I leave my comment to the photo’s!!

About peterlee54

8 Cap Roc - Western most point

Where I've been

Photo Galleries

Highlights

My trip journals



 

 

Travel Answers about Finland

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.