Existing Member?

Peterstravels Leave nothing but footprints take nothing but photos and remember that souvenir is being carried for over 10000 miles!!

Several Northern Norway Highlights

UNITED KINGDOM | Thursday, 31 May 2012 | Views [486]

So let’s start with saying that I forgot to say that Tromso claims to be the most Northerly City in the world. So then it was further north to Hammerfest which claims to be the most Northerly Town over 10000 and have the most northerly university in the world. It’s important to us Brits is that the town is the land fall for the huge natural gas fields of the Norwegian seas and from here much of the UK’s gas supplies are sent by undersea pipeline directly to us. It is also home of the well know and “Ancient”(1963 ancient?) Polar Bear Society of which I am now a lifelong member. What the young lady does with the bone from a whale’s penis upon becoming a member, and the conversation beforehand, are available over a pint one quiet evening when you want a laugh! Again a lovely setting for the town but built in the usual Norwegian “ugly” style. The journey up to Nordkapp is stunning! Unfortunately I travelled the road in a raging snow storm with force 125 winds, so saw very little on the way up (I did on the way down). I decided to stop in the small Port of Honningveg and to my surprise The Queen Victoria was in Dock, she’s magnificent! Nordkapp claims to be the most northerly point in Europe at latitude 71.10.21. Unfortunately Knivskjelodden is at 71.11.08 about 1.5kms further north, but you have to walk there which is about a 18km hike. So let’s just say that Nordkapp is the further north you can go by road, because it is actually on a island, reached by a 6.8km by 212m deep tunnel, so it is not actually the most northerly part of mainland Europe that fall to where I am writing this blog to a place just north of Gamvik called Slettnes at 71.05.071. So now that’s all clear I can now go outside take a few more pictures of tonight’s midnight sun before heading south to the most northerly point in the EU which is about 5 hours drive south of here in Finland!

About peterlee54

8 Cap Roc - Western most point

Where I've been

Photo Galleries

Highlights

My trip journals



 

 

Travel Answers about United Kingdom

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.