Existing Member?

Peterstravels Leave nothing but footprints take nothing but photos and remember that souvenir is being carried for over 10000 miles!!

Helsinki

FINLAND | Thursday, 14 June 2012 | Views [573]

I am still astonished at the beauty of this country. The forests of the North, the lakes of the East and now the setting of Helsinki! The harbour is right in the city centre and the Market Square is bordered on one side by water (except in winter when it’s so bloody cold the sea freezes). Just offshore there are some lovely Islands, I visited some when I went out to Suomilinna ((Finland’s Fortress)a UNESCO heritage site) here the city is left behind and stunning sea view and lush public gardens along with Museums, cafes  and the only Finnish Submarine left, made for a lovely few hours. Later I took the Cannel Cruise which gave some more stunning views. The History of Finland is complex with it being firstly part of Sweden and then part of Russia. The Russian Tsar’s seemed to be OK with Finland making it a duchy and thus keeping its own identity. Tsar Alexander II even went so far as to have the 2 Cathedrals built, one Orthodox and the other Lutheran (note the difference in the interiors). So that’s why they have 2 Cathedrals! Many of the early buildings were destroyed in the 1800’s due to (yep you guessed) fire, but by royal decree houses then had to be built of stone or brick, most still here and many are still used for their original purpose or converted to modern use. The Sibelius monument is a modern piece and quite interesting. We were all told that quite strangely it was designed by “a woman” Why was that so strange? I also visited the Helsinki Olympic Park, originally built for the 1940’s games but not used until 1952. From the number of people there today enjoying the sunshine and using the facilities it is a valued asset of the city, I just wonder if Stratford will be so popular in 2060? After WW2 Finland were banned from having any submarines, They must have hidden the one I found this week!!!

About peterlee54

8 Cap Roc - Western most point

Where I've been

Photo Galleries

Highlights

My trip journals



 

 

Travel Answers about Finland

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.