Existing Member?

Peterstravels Leave nothing but footprints take nothing but photos and remember that souvenir is being carried for over 10000 miles!!

A bit of Norway in a Nutshell

NORWAY | Wednesday, 16 May 2012 | Views [561]

Believe it or not there is a tour advertised here that gives the passenger an impression of Norway in one day! It entails a train journey from Bergen, the fabulous train down to Flam, a fast ferry along Sognefjord and then a bus tour. To that I say “I have been going round in circles for the last week in this area called Fjordland and the one thing that I can say with my hands held high is: I still have not seen all of this area let alone the whole country!

A few days ago, as I emerged from the 11Km long tunnel to Flam, the sun was shining on the snow topped mountains and the fjord was surrounded by green trees I actually said out loud, WOW! Several times. Later that day I met a young English backpacker and he described his journey that day as “living in a post card”. I now know what he meant because after a week I still feel that way!

You will see from the photos that my photography really does not do it justice!

But, I am now able to disclose the four national pastimes of the Norwegian Male. 1. Cross Country Skiing. If it’s white and cold they sky on it and if not they roller skate on it! 2. Digging holes in mountains. Apparently there are over 900 in the country and growing daily! 3. English Premier football. Why? 4. They have this thing for cutting up trees, every house has a stack outside and all along the road you see men making more!! As one Norwegian put it, it keeps you warm three times longer than coal. Cutting the tree, splitting the logs and then burning them!

For those of you that have muttered under your breath or actually told me to: I have now been to Hell! And to tell the truth I think I saw some people I know there!

Anyway I’ve now said goodbye to Southern Norway as I have returned to Sweden, and that date I told you about!!

 

About peterlee54

8 Cap Roc - Western most point

Where I've been

Photo Galleries

Highlights

My trip journals



 

 

Travel Answers about Norway

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.