Existing Member?

Peterstravels Leave nothing but footprints take nothing but photos and remember that souvenir is being carried for over 10000 miles!!

Oslo

NORWAY | Tuesday, 8 May 2012 | Views [516]

I arrived in Oslo to find it shut or rather the camp sites do not open till 1st June so I had to go about 8 miles out to find somewhere decent to stay. Bogstad Camping turns out to be one of the largest campsites in Norway and is situated just below the Holmenkollen skiing area that was developed for the 2011 world cup. As you will see from the photos the Ski Jump towers above the whole area and is clearly seen from the City below.

Oslo is a very small city with a population of only 600000. It is situated at the head of the Oslo Fjord and has spread both inland and to the islands over the years. Because of the terrain there are tunnels and bridges all over and to get from one place to another by foot may entail long diversions but fortunately there are 6 Metro lines and 6 tram lines as well as train and bus connections. I spent most of my time in the city around the harbour where like all good cities in the 21century the old has been ripped down and new built. Like elsewhere, some good and some bad and some still under development. The Town hall a monstrous brick building of 1930’s origin has none of the charms of the old Rathuis’s of Germany. The new Opera House is one of the better buildings and it is quite a treat to be able to walk up the roof! This new building is complement by many older one of which the National Museum was my favourite.

Note to all: when it says melk(milk) on the carton it is not necessarily melk in the carton! As I found out when I poured a white liquid that was not milk or even yogurt onto my cereals this morning, we live and learn!

 

About peterlee54

8 Cap Roc - Western most point

Where I've been

Photo Galleries

Highlights

My trip journals



 

 

Travel Answers about Norway

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.