Existing Member?

Peterstravels Leave nothing but footprints take nothing but photos and remember that souvenir is being carried for over 10000 miles!!

Malmo and Stockholm

SWEDEN | Sunday, 6 May 2012 | Views [451] | Comments [1]

The bridge, or should I say the fixed link, from Copenhagen in Denmark to Malmo in Sweden, consists of, 4Km,  four lane car and 2 track rail, tunnel to a new artificial island and from there it goes over an 8km bridge. Costing some US$5.7billion it’s going to take over 30 years to pay back its cost, even at £25 a time for a car. But it was a fantastic drive across it on a brilliantly sunny day! As you cross the bridge you can see on the Swedish side their tallest building, The Turning Torso. It doesn’t really turn but it certainly looks as if it could. This part of Sweden is not particularly pretty it’s a bit like home really but with a lot more birch trees! Making my way North East towards Stockholm the land gets much wetter with more on more lakes and rivers until you reach Stockholm and the 14 Island that are part of the city.

Stockholm is small with only 1.4million living here and so the central area is also small so it’s a city where you really can walk fairly quickly to all the interesting places. The Royal Palace has the traditional changing of the guard each day, this time with music and soldiers who march at double quick time and with straight legs, I, along with some other Brits found this extremely funny but the Swedes took it all very seriously. The whole city is build around water and so everywhere you go there is a bridge or a ferry to catch, but it is a beautiful setting and there are some fantastic buildings.

My main reason to come here was to see the Vasa, A real Viking ship launched in 1628 and sailed a total time of 20 minutes and a distance of about one and a half kilometers. She then caught the breeze heeled over, letting water in through the gun ports, and sank in 30 metres of water. The only things of value on board were the cannon and it took many years before they invented the diving bell which allowed them to recover 65 of the 68 cannon on board(If they had told the Irish, that there was several tones of scrap 30 metres away, it would have been up and sold in no time). In the 1950’s and 1960’s the ship was recovered and now stands very proudly in the Vasa Museum here in Stockholm. The museum work closely with the Marie Rose Trust so there is a connection there as well.

Next stop Oslo in Norway!!

 

Comments

1

Hi Peter. Are you allredy in Stockholm? When do you plan to arrive to Sävar? I have to warn you that we still have some snow her. Hope to get better wether on your arrivel.
See you

  Gunnar Forsgren May 7, 2012 5:02 AM

About peterlee54

8 Cap Roc - Western most point

Where I've been

Photo Galleries

Highlights

My trip journals



 

 

Travel Answers about Sweden

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.