Existing Member?

Peterstravels Leave nothing but footprints take nothing but photos and remember that souvenir is being carried for over 10000 miles!!

How I survived Amsterdam!

NETHERLANDS | Sunday, 22 April 2012 | Views [487]

Well I promised the seedy side of Amsterdam, I must say than the number of the sex establishments has somewhat dwindled and the Red Light district seems much smaller now but I will say, either the quality of the ladies in the shop windows has improved since I lived out here in the 70’s or maybe I’ve just become less choosy!!

So you will all be glad to know that I survived the rigors of Amsterdam having visited several places that I wanted to go to. I have learned how to say Van Gogh and I was right all along, I took the Audio tour of the Van Gogh Museum and during the tape his name was pronounced as: Van Go!, Van Gough and at first I thought the museum directed told me to F..K off, but he said Veck off!! So there we are, we were all right! I also visited the Hermitage Museum where there was an exhibit of Rubens and Van Dick!I also visited the Rembranthuis museum. They had no sense of humour here! I sat on one of the chairs and was quickly told off, so I jumped up but lent back onto the wall, setting off the alarms as I’d moved a painting, The 6 security men seemed totally non plused!Then to the Aude Kerk where the News photo's of the year was being exhibited, the photos are all fantastic as well as thought provoking. The old church being the oldest building in amsterdam with some fantastic Stained glass seems a fitting place to show the new Photos against the old stories of the windows. Finally the dutch have a saying about money not growing on trees but they are a bit more graphic.

Crossing the road in Amsterdam took quite a lot of learning, as you are all aware firstly the drive on the wrong side of the road, so, that is easy to say which way they will come from! Ha! They come from all directions it seem to make no difference to the drivers! But first I will illuminate you all about one of the near misses I had. Just north of Dam Square I needed to get across the road. First I was assaulted by 27 French Students who appeared to drop from the sky just as I decided to go! Then there was the Cycle lane with motor bikes and cycles going in both directions, next the road way. Here at least there was a bit of order but the car that was overtaking the bus in a single lane nearly took me and several others out! Next came 2 tram lines again must be simple but no at the time they were reversing some of the trams up the wrong way as there had been an accident! Surprise surprise! I am now half way and all I needed was to cross the last lane of traffic, dodge a cyclist and avoid any stray French persons who happened along. I had made it or so I thought, right at the last minute and too late to avoid it, the street cleaner with a power washer got me from the side. I was drowned but alive!!

 

About peterlee54

8 Cap Roc - Western most point

Where I've been

Photo Galleries

Highlights

My trip journals



 

 

Travel Answers about Netherlands

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.