Existing Member?

Peterstravels Leave nothing but footprints take nothing but photos and remember that souvenir is being carried for over 10000 miles!!

Home of the Hamburger

GERMANY | Wednesday, 25 April 2012 | Views [397]

This is really the Home of the Hamburger!

The city of Hamburg was well and truly bombed during the war but they had done quite a good job rebuilding it. I was interested in the Harbour Area which was really interesting. I had no Idea how busy the port would be! They count the containers though the port in the many millions a year, and much is export of the high quality German goods as well as some imports. The city seemed to me to be quite welcoming and having the 2 lakes in the centre really makes it a nice city to visit. I was really astounded to see the double articulated busses on the No5 route of course I had to have a ride but they wouldn’t let me drive one!

As I was quite close to Luneburg I took the opportunity to visit a friend there. I was really glad I did as the town is fantastic and they have managed to keep most of the ugly rebuilding to a minimum.

Another town nearby is Lubeck with its claim to fame being that it has 7 spires, this town also took a beating in the war and in Marienkirche they have left the church bells where they fell in 1942. Again much restoration has gone on and some of the houses look as they did in the 1600’s but again here some of the new build is a bit on the bad side.

I write this in the Holstein Schweiz area of Germany in a little town called Plon. I am camped by the lake and thinking that it is nearly shorts time as the sun is shining and it’s quite warm.

About peterlee54

8 Cap Roc - Western most point

Where I've been

Photo Galleries

Highlights

My trip journals



 

 

Travel Answers about Germany

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.