Existing Member?

Peterstravels Leave nothing but footprints take nothing but photos and remember that souvenir is being carried for over 10000 miles!!

Towers and lakes

CHILE | Monday, 29 March 2010 | Views [254]

The journey north has brought me to the picturess port of Peurto Natales. This is some 200 kms north of Punta Aranus but a million miles away in Character. The town nestles on the plain between the southern Andes and the sea, well inlets, from the south pacific. We are about as far south as central Scotland is but without a warm ocean current they have must colder weather.

Today I was in Torres del Payne national part, its claim to fame are the Torres or Towers which are pretty much unique to the area. Basically the mountains have been made by Vocnic eruptions on top of Sedementary rock which has then been eroded to form the towers of different rock you can see in the pictures.

The hights of the montains are up to about 3100mts so still not high but with the cold westher conditions they have snow on them all year round and you can see several glaciers.

The lakes are cold and swimming is forbidden. As you will see theree are even Ice bergs.

Tomorrow(monday) I join a ship for a 4night 5 day cruise up through the fiord land of Chile. As there is no internet provision on the ship I wll not be updating my journal til friday, but from what some of my fellow travels have told me it should be worth the wait!

Happy Easter

Peter

About peterlee54

8 Cap Roc - Western most point

Where I've been

Photo Galleries

Highlights

My trip journals



 

 

Travel Answers about Chile

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.