Existing Member?

Peterstravels Leave nothing but footprints take nothing but photos and remember that souvenir is being carried for over 10000 miles!!

Tall Ships to Tiny Feet

ARGENTINA | Monday, 22 March 2010 | Views [208] | Comments [1]

So I have now travelled as far South as I will this Trip, to the City of Ushuaia. We travelled from the Atlantic Seaboard across to the Southern Pacific seaboard in just under 3 hours.

We crossed over the Andes through the Garibaldi Pass (he makes good biscuits), to arrive in early evening and to find that the Tall Ships that are doing a round South America trip to be in Port. These are the same ships I saw from afar in BA and Uraguay. Also in port is the Argentinian Navy (they appear to be a ship missing) Don't mention the war!!

This morning the sailors paraded through town, The Mexicans officers and crew dancing to music, The Uraguayans parading the very pretty ladies, The Dutch(yes I wondered why!)looked as if they had been on the pot for the last 24 hoursand The argentinians in Full uniform,straight faced and in step!!

Later on the docks the ships were allowing visitors the Argentinian ship the most popular and the most regimented whilst the Mexican ship was a party on water.

This afternoon I went on the boat down the Beagle channel,as we travelled between Chile and the Argentine the guide had to admit reluctantly that the town furthest south in in Chile. We travelled as far as the "Pinguin Island" Here there were thousand of "Pinguins". The first Magellanic penguins, the most common type with two black stripes across it´s neck and the less plantiful Gentoo with it´s red beak.

We watched for about an Hours and the anticks were great to watch. Apparently the two types tolerate each other as long as they don't get too close.

Tomorrow it's a trip on "El Tren del fin del Mundo" the train at the end of the world and this is in Argentina.

Chow

Comments

1

AMAZING! what fantastic pics, how wonderful. So are we assuming the Beagle channel is so named after Darwins ship captained by FitzRoy - who founded the Meteorological Office and is responsible for the shipping forecast? Attention all shipping, ice blocks popping up all around...
I think the penguins and lakes views are truly stunning, you are a lucky man. Have fun and keep up the journals Yxx

  Yvonne Mar 23, 2010 10:06 PM

About peterlee54

8 Cap Roc - Western most point

Where I've been

Photo Galleries

Highlights

My trip journals



 

 

Travel Answers about Argentina

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.