Existing Member?

Peterstravels Leave nothing but footprints take nothing but photos and remember that souvenir is being carried for over 10000 miles!!

More Glaciers and a big suprise.

ARGENTINA | Saturday, 20 March 2010 | Views [351]

So my last day in El Calafate was spent on Lago Argentino the largest of the Argentinian Lake and one that is extremely cold but never freezes.

The day started a bit overcast but what was to happen later made the day great.

I wanted to see the Upsala Glacier which is even bigger than Perito Moreno it stands over 100mts over the lake surface but it goes down under water to nearly 800 metres. However this glacier calves huge Ice bergs, these drift down the lake and collect at a narrow point which stopped us getting up close.

So we were unable to get to two other glaciers as the waterway was blocked.

In the afternoon, as a substitute for the missed glaciers we travelled again to se the Perito Moreno Glacier. As we watched a huge lump of ice fall into the water causing the boat to rock somewhat. We thought that was it untill 2 more huge blocks fell off infront of us. We definately thought that was it and the captain let the boat drift further down the lake. Then, he gunned the engines and we saled full pelt back to the spot where we had just been stationed. to see rising from the bottom of the lake 2 huge blocks of "bottom" ice. These were a deep deep blue with streaks of debris caught in them. There size, each was about 3 or 4 times the size of the boat. If we had stayed where we had been watching the captaion says we might have been hit as the ice bergs emerged.

When I was at school I learned that an Ice Berg is 33% above the water and 66% below, That is true for Salt water bergs but in Frsh water it is 15% above and 75% below so when you see the photos think how big they must be.

I am in Rio Gallegos for 2 nights Nothing here but its good to be in a non tourist place where noone and I mean that speaks English.

Tomorrow further south to Tierra del Fuego.

About peterlee54

8 Cap Roc - Western most point

Where I've been

Photo Galleries

Highlights

My trip journals



 

 

Travel Answers about Argentina

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.