Existing Member?

Paul and Pete backpacking in Asia Follow us on our big adventures!

Fun in Pokhara

NEPAL | Tuesday, 21 May 2013 | Views [1239]

After our pete got stuck in the mud!

After our pete got stuck in the mud!

So, after getting back from our Mt Everest base camp trek I had a double check of our upcoming flight itinerys and found that we fly to Bangkok on the 21st May not the 26th like we thought. Good job I checked! That meant we had 7 nights left in Nepal so we decided get out of Kathmandu and head to Pokhara, based near the Annapurna mountain range. So after a couple of days living on lovely chicken mo mo's (gorgeous tibetan food) and getting hassled by people trying to sell drugs/souveneirs we took the bus to Pokhara. Our german mate Dirk came with us and we continued where we left off from our trek, loads of good banter! It took 7 hours to get there and it wasnt exactly what we expected as we couldn't see none of the 8000m+ mountains due to cloud. But it didnt take long before we loved the place. We checked into a hostel in a great location near the lake then went straight out to take advantage of the many bars doing happy hour deals!

There was so much stuff to do in Pokhara ... paragliding, mountain biking, white water rafting, Mountain trekking, boat rental for the lake (just to name a few!). After our excursions to Everest we decided we'd done enough trekking so hired mountain bikes out for the day instead. We cycled round the main lake then to Davis falls (waterfall). Next we headed up to a temple called the world peace pagaoda on top of a giagantic hill. The sun was baking down on us and it took us over an hour to get to the top we were soaked! Great excercise though! And an amazing view of Pokhara and the lake! 

The next day we found out about this 5 star hotel called the Shangri laa that offers an all you can eat buffet and allows use of their pool/ sun lounges etc for 1100 rupees (just under £10). So we thought we'd treat ourselves to that! We had a lovely chilled day eating loads of food and lounging by the pool. The weather was beautiful too, I ended up with white panda eyes from my sun glasses and a red face. On our last day me and pete rented out a boat and a fishing rod and went out on the massive lake. We needn't have bothered with the rod as the fish werent biting. The rowing was actually quite hard work made worse by no breeze and a baking hot sun. Sure enough we were back just after an hour! We were thinking about white water rafting but found it was only the beginning of the rainy season so at the moment no rain = empty rivers. Even though there was loads to do in Pokhara there was still a laid back and chilled vibe which is just what we wanted after our trek and Kathmandu. 4 days/ 4 nights soon came and went and it was time to head back to Kathmandu in preparation for our flight to Thailand!

Tags: all you can eat buffet, fishing, happy hour, mountain biking

 
 

 

Travel Answers about Nepal

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.