Existing Member?

Definitely Out There

Queenstown-bound

NEW ZEALAND | Friday, 8 March 2013 | Views [328]

Sunset in Wanaka

Sunset in Wanaka

After spending the night again in Wanaka, the three of us continued heading south to Queenstown.

Queenstown in the distanceThe other town viewable from Rock Peak

At the last mountain pass we climbed up to Rock Peak, a ridiculously high vantage point where we could see for miles. Several switchbacks later, we were in an adult playground.

In the winter tourists come to Queenstown to ski. In the summer they bungee jump. All year round they skydive, paraglide and ride the jetboats. There are also more bars than you can fall in to. We spent a full day here. Jordan and I rode the Shotover Jetboat (as requested by Gail), a short 30 tear up and down a narrow gorge lined with sharp rocks where the boat shoots past so close that you could reach out and touch them if it was allowed.

The following day we put Gabe on a shuttle to the Routeburn trail, one of New Zealand's great walks. I would have loved to go, but my skinned toe hadn't healed enough to support several days of brisk hiking. Jordan and I continued south and east.

Cheers from the summit!

Tags: adventure, goodbyes, on the road

About paul_meet_world


Follow Me

Where I've been

Photo Galleries

Highlights

My trip journals


See all my tags 


 

 

Travel Answers about New Zealand

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.