Existing Member?

A life less ordinary What started out as 12months in Sydney has turned into a great adventure - taking in Australia, Thailand, Cambodia, Vietnam and now 'home' in Dubai.

Our first week!

UNITED ARAB EMIRATES | Tuesday, 12 October 2010 | Views [568] | Comments [3]

So, here we are in Dubai. One week down and it was pretty damn busy! Within the first 5 days we had an apartment, car/4x4, all our stuff from the port, an interview, a job offer and Daire was all guns blazing setting up his new company!

We were welcomed by Ally and Ness who we knew through Justin and Chrissie and they invited us over for some good home cooked nosh on Monday! Was great!! Then on Friday after all our efforts I joined Ness and the girls for 'brunch' at the observatory in the Marriot Harbour Hotel. OMG - amazing!! All you can eat and drink for 4 hours!! I must have swallowed buckets of prosecco and tried almost everything there was on offer - need less to say I was a little worse for wear when Daire collected me a few hours later. So we spent the rest of the weekend unpacking and getting settled.

Sunday we treated ourselves to an afternoon at Wild Wadi water park and had so much fun!! It is right by the Jumeriah Beach Hotel (the wave) and the Burj Al Arab (the sail) and the views from the highest ride was great!

Yesterday I had an interview with a recruiter so fingers crossed for that - the previous job offer I had was a 3 month contract with a great agency but it would have meant living in Oman for 3 months which I just wasn't prepared to do esp seen as we just got here.

After doing a cookery course in Thailand I have been trying out all the receipes this week. The shops sell everything here - the choice of food is greater than it was in sydney, accomodating for all Asian cuisine as well as Indian, Middle Eastern and Western! Our apartment is in an area/community called 'The Greens' and it has a little shopping center which is cute. It's pretty family orientated but we love the ground floor apartment we have and the pool, and gym are just there (like infront of our back garden!)

So far so good all in all. The ONLY thing that I think will take some getting used to is that we have to go to hotels to enjoy a glass of wine...the night before last we had heard that the area next to us has some cool bars etc and that they were walking distance. SWEET we though - so off we set for an after dinner stroll with the taste of alcohol on the tips of our tongues. 2k later we find a hotel with an english pub...our excitement grows - only to be turned away because Daire is wearing flip flops!! WTF!!!! We ended up on the roof in a terrace bar and paying £16 for a beer and a glass of wine....just one of those things I guess.

Anyways, hope the rest of the world is treating you well!? Speak soon. x  

Comments

1

English pub - The Hilton, Dubai Creek (Deira) plus, The Irish Village - near the airport (online) xx

Will write more soon xxx

  Dan Oct 12, 2010 7:41 PM

2

Not the Hilton - the Sheraton!! Xx

  Danielle Oct 12, 2010 7:48 PM

3

Sorry to hear about the "poo" outside your new place ("the poo, and gym are just there (like infront of our back garden!)"). Send Daire out there with a shovel...

Just messing! It all sounds fantastic. I can't believe how sorted you are already! And settling into the boozy expat brunch scene already - love it! I'm sure you'll soon get the bar situation sorted and have some favourite locals sorted. Enjoying the photos of Wild Wadi :-) xx

  Sarah Oct 12, 2010 9:47 PM

About partners-in-crime


Follow Me

Where I've been

Favourites

Photo Galleries

Highlights

My trip journals


See all my tags 


 

 

Travel Answers about United Arab Emirates

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.