Existing Member?

A life less ordinary What started out as 12months in Sydney has turned into a great adventure - taking in Australia, Thailand, Cambodia, Vietnam and now 'home' in Dubai.

October Fun Fest

AUSTRALIA | Friday, 30 October 2009 | Views [746]

October has been a pretty busy month!

To start, I made a 120 hour round trip to Florence for the wedding of great friends Justin & Chrissie.

Had 30 minute dinner with Stuart and Gail in Hong Kong airport while in transit. Sleeping pill took hold a little early and had to be chaperoned to the gate by Stuart. 8 hours kip and one movie later, landed in Florence.

Roomed with Lee ‘Tucka’ Everest in the salubrious Hotel Derby. Highlights on Day 1 included lunch by Ponte Vecchio, several pints of german lager at the Fish Pub. Bit of booze grandstanding by the Europeans when the American team arrived into the bar. Unfortunately the European veteran's chugging approach came a bit unstuck against the non-effervescent US style of sipping and actually enjoying their drinks...

Day 2 brought a bit of sightseeing, participation in a red-faction anti-Berlusconi riot/march, although a wet start to wedding morning. Lunch next to the Duomo then off to the castle in the hills of Florence. Amazing setting and intimate and high banter wedding proceedings. Great words from best man Chris, Mr. Cessna, Sam and Justin. The lads stole the show on the dancefloor afterwards (notable mention to Gaz) followed by a singsong on the bus back to Florence.

Met for lunch on Saturday at Piazzale Michaelangelo and had a great lunch with about half the wedding party and the grappa madness re-commenced, whilst overlooking the breathtaking city views.  Saw Michaelangelo’s David and was in awe, although had about 6 pints and a couple of grappas at that stage. Few beers in Piazza di Santa Croce followed by dinner with about 25 in Baldovino. Dinner concluded with a rousing rendition of ‘Tucka is a Wanker’ by all parties. Few beers in Francisco’s bar concluded events.

Painful 10 hour delay in Florence/Zurich followed, before 24 hour journey back via Singapore.

Meanwhile Laura had started her new job on Thursday in Chattswood, northern Sydney– very excited/nervous but settled in quickly, aided by another ex-pat starting on the same day. Highly organised with travel tickets and mapping prepared well in advance.  Fully immersed into it right away, travelling to Melbourne within a couple of weeks and checking out the location of the expo that will take place in April 2010.

Missed John’s stag while in Florence, but Laura certainly didn’t miss Lucy’s hen day/night. Relaxed afternoon harbour cruise and bubbles commenced events before evening quickly descended into carnage while Lucy performed her hen-ly requirements . ‘Sensible’ Laura left early before Kings Cross club at about 3am – drunken calls exchanged at 3.00 – 3.30 in equal states of sobriety, with Laura mumbling something about a wedding limo driver...?

John and Lucy’s wedding took place the following weekend at Palm  Beach, north of Sydney. [Slight delay as Ken was pulled over by the police as the cake was being collected in Sydney. No registration, insurance and tax - what's the big deal? - miraculous save by Ken - $1,000 fine was a better outcome than arrest/car impounded]

I am told Home & Away is filmed at Palm Beach, didn’t see Kylie or Jason though.. Had been volunteered anonymously to be the limo driver for the day!? Can’t have been Laura as she is well aware of my displeasure in driving? Drove the beautiful bride and bride’s father to the ceremony at speeds above 5mph. Great day, meal at Barrenjoey House, singsong and hike through the woods at 2am, Laura kindly acting as bridesmaid by holding the bride’s dress above her head!  Up early for great breakfast from Leonie at The Moorings. Fresh swim at Summer Bay beach followed by lunch in Newport

Back to normality in Sydney with a bit of r&r. Horizontal seating cinema at Govindas...Laura managed to stay awake for the whole show!!?

Both really busy with work, but getting to enjoy the October Sydney Food Festival in the evenings, including Pyrmont Food Fair, Noodle Nights in Hyde Park and Top 40 NSW wine awards.

During the wedding at Palm Beach, Clive invited us along to one of his Yoga sessions, so we took him up on his offer the following weekend to chill out - backbends was the order of the day - a bit of fun according to Clive!!!! I was grouped with the 80 year old man and was casually informed that there was a beginners class on Mondays!?

Off camping this weekend at Huskisson Beach to end the month, as summer fast approaches...

Tags: job, parties, weddings, yoga

About partners-in-crime


Follow Me

Where I've been

Favourites

Photo Galleries

Highlights

My trip journals


See all my tags 


 

 

Travel Answers about Australia

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.