Existing Member?

A Couple's Encounters

Farewell to Sydney

AUSTRALIA | Saturday, 5 March 2011 | Views [433]

Life in Sydney has been fairly quiet over the last couple of weeks. We’ve not much to report but lots of beach going, swimming, snorkelling, ice-cream, jet boating and unfortunately job hunting.

Snorkel, snorkel: We went snorkelling at Fairlight beach (which is up from Manly harbour) with John last week and it was fantastic. We saw bundles of cool fish we’d never seen before and got a few snaps as we brought our waterproof disposable along. The water is so calm there and there are so many different fish to see it gets a big thumbs up from us!!

All set for the thrills and spills of Sydney Jet Boating 360 degree spins: After a week of half-day job hunting and half-day beach going we decided we’d head for the city and hit the Sydney Harbour Thunder Jet Boat for an unforgettable experience. Our boat driver was mad craic pulling off incredible stunts just barely missing concrete buoys in the water and managing to soak everyone on board regardless of where you were sitting on the boat front, back, left or right.

So long, farewell, auf Wiedersehen, goodbye: Before we bid a farewell to Sydney and head into the unknown further afield we thought we’d get the last few sights and activities in. We caught a Burlesque show in the City Valentines weekend. It was fun. The MC was as mad as a hatter and made the night with a lot of hollering and hooting. After weeks of planning to head to Wildlife World in Darling Harbour we finally made it there this week. It was great fun and worth the visit. We saw every Australian animal you could think of, including koalas, kangaroos, wallabies, snakes, spiders etc etc. James held a huge cockroach in his hand, the rhinoceros cockroach. According to the Guinness book of records it’s the largest in the world. Needless to say I passed on that one!! Later in the week we spent the day in Manly checking out Manly Ocean World, watching the volleyball competition on the beach and going body boarding. The rip was crazy that day so we packed in the body boarding after a while and headed further up the beach into the big waves. The waves were unlike anything we’d ever seen before it was mad craic. It was home time then after we’d swallowed enough sea water for one day. That night we went for a gorgeous dinner with Alice and John to Hugo’s in Manly. We sat overlooking the harbour watching the moonlight ripple across the sea. The food was lovely and the company fantastic. We really enjoyed the night. Hugo’s is owned by a famous chef who is a judge on a program over here called ‘MKR’ (My Kitchen Rules). We’ve been following it every night on TV and now we got to eat in his restaurant and act like the critics for the night. Ha, it was yum!

Tags: aussie wildlife, beaches, gorgeous dinner, jet boating, snorkelling

 

 

Travel Answers about Australia

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.