Existing Member?

Owen's Travel Journal

To Motueka and Back Again

NEW ZEALAND | Friday, 17 April 2009 | Views [398] | Comments [1]

Today I spent the last of my time in Motueka. I was sad to leave the little hostel there that I liked so much but it was about time I got back into some adventure and exciting stuff, as nice a time I had relaxing.

I bused back in to Nelson today and got a pleasant suprise when I found out the hostel I'm staying at was going to pick me up for free. Although Fern Lodge was nice I decided to go for somwhere different now that I'm back, since Fern Lodge would be full of people from todays Kiwi Experience bus and I had enjoyed the chilled out-ness and quietness of the hostel in Motueka. I'm staying at a hostel called The Bug, which I had read about in my guide book and it was recommended by a guy in Motueka.

It's really nice, small and homely, and the guy who runs it is nice and has been very helpful. I met a Scottish and an Irish guy here too who have been doing loads of working travel so I had a good chat with them. The hostel has a Bug theme throughout it(as in the car), there's one parked out front and inside has a weird colour scheme and stuff. It has an amazing kitchen, with an oven and free spices and oils!!! I'm tempted to do some awesome cooking while I can. There's free internet too which is always a bonus, aswell as free use of bikes.

The two guys I met were going to the supermarket and I needed some stuff so I decided I would give one of the bikes a shot. It had been like 4 years or something since I had ridden one and I was a bit shakey. You also have to wear a helmet over here, apparently you can get an on the spot 80 dollar fine if you don't, so I looked and felt like a right spanner. Was nice to cycle again though once I got used to it, I might take a longer ride somewhere another day.

I'm planning on doing the 2 day kayak/hike in the National Park tomorrow but I need to check the weather before I go and book it; I don't really want to spend a day paddling around if its bucketing down with rain.

I stuck up some photos that I took of the hostel in Motueka and of the loooong road that is its main street and of some mountains that I happened to notice while I had my camera out, check them out.

Comments

1

The Hostel you were in looks very homely, no wonder you liked staying there. You will beable to relax and enjoy your time more now that you don't have the worry of looking for work.
How did your Hike and Kayak go?
Take care xxxx

  Tracy, Rob & Kids Apr 18, 2009 8:26 AM

 

 

Travel Answers about New Zealand

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.