Existing Member?

Owen's Travel Journal

Wellington (Boots)

NEW ZEALAND | Thursday, 9 April 2009 | Views [474]

Today was my last day at the lodge in River Valley, which made me kind of sad. I was just getting settled in and getting to know the people there. My time at the lodge was awesome though, the people were so so nice, the food was awesome and the lodge and its suroundings were a really cool place to work. The only bad thing that happened was; on my last day of log stacking, I spent about 3 hours building 2 huge walls of logs and they all fell down and almost crushed me, oh no. If I'm ever back in the area this time or if I ever come back to New Zealand in the future, I will definately go back and pay them a visit.

I said byebye to the guys there, had one last muffin and made sure I savoured it, and then jumped on my new bus, full of people I did not know! Scary stuff.

We drove along the rough track that leads out of river valley and after driving through the countryside we were back in civilisation, and I had a phone signal again! My new driver told us that there wouldn't be many stops on the way to Wellington, it is quite far from River Valley so we didnt really have time. A half hour break was all we were given, in the town of Bulls.

It is a rediculous town. They have made it completley "Bull" themed. The toilets all have signs saying "Releiva-bull", the police station has one saying "Consta-bull", the town hall says "Socia-bull" and so on.

We got back on the bus and continued the journey to Wellington. As we were approaching, through some pretty cool scenery; mountians and bays, our driver told us a quite a bit about some of the areas surrounding Wellington and about Wellington it's self. The city gets called Windy Wellington and now that I am here its easy to see why. Much colder and windier compared to Auckland, and probably not helped by the fact that summer is ending.

We arrived and were dropped off at our hostel. Probably the worst hostel I've been in so far, its pretty scruffy looking and there arn't nearly enough facilities for the number of people that are here. This is a shame since I've decided to stay for 2 nights, it seems like a really nice city and I want to have a look around a bit before I pass through. Think im going to check out the museum and stuff tomrrow since I have the whole day free.

I also realised today that I really do not have as much time as I would like. If I am to do some fruitpicking in Nelson for 2 weeks that will leave me with 2 weeks to travel. I think I might have to rush the south island a bit in order to make it back to Auckland for my flight, which is a shame since apparently the south island is the best part of the country. Atleast I'll get to see the major parts of it though. I definately want to come back here later in life.

Tonight I treated myself to an Indian since our bus driver said the takeaway here made the best curries in New Zealand. Got myself a Dal and a nan-bread, which I watched be made and baked in the indian oven thing. Not as good as back home but still nomnom.

 
 

 

Travel Answers about New Zealand

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.