Existing Member?

Owen's Travel Journal

Hong Kong Phooey - Day 2

HONG KONG | Wednesday, 18 March 2009 | Views [309]

After a fairly decent 12 hours sleep I almost felt refreshed enough for todays activites. We were given the morning as free time so after some nomnoms Joe, Polly, Amy and I headed into the city to check out some parks that some others in the group had said were nice. We decided to check one near Nathan Road since we realised that the day before we had only seen the rubbish bit and we wanted to see the rest. We took a ferry across the harbour and got some good views of the city since it was a much clearer day. On the towards the park we noticed Hong Kong rowing association had a wee stall thing set up with rowing machines and were having races. Me and Joe were well up for giving it a shot. I came 2nd but only cos i fell off :(
We headed back towards the park and wandered through. It was pretty nice and there were some turtle things that we stood and looked at for far to long.

We left the park and went onto the supposedly good part of Nathan Road. It was much busier today and we were offered so many tailored suits and fake Rolexs. Good stuff (y)!

We took the ferry back and got back to our hotel just in time for our first proper tour with Lyon. Our first stop was Victoria Peak, which i think is the highest point in Hong Kong. We very glad to have had better weather as the views from up there were pretty amazing. Next stop was Aberdeen fishing harbour. We took a sampan, like a water taxi, ride around the harbour and looked at boats. lots and lots of boats. And also the famous floating resuraunt that none of us had heard of. After being shouted at for money by the angry woman driving our sampan we headed back onto the bus and towards Repulse Bay. Pretty short stop off here as it was a beach and nothing we hadn't seen before. The final stop on our tour was a market, I forgot the name, selling all sorts of random tacky stuff that I decided I would rather not buy.

We jumped back on the bus and were taken to a resturaunt for a Chinese meal. For some bizzare reason they decided that the vegetarians, luckily there are 2 of us, were to sit at sperate table. Not even a seperate table next to the meaty table, a sperate table 2 away from it. Anyway, Daryl and I were joined by Lyon and we quizzed her on everything about Hong Kong whilst enjoying some sweet and sour tofu which was awesome and some pumpking stuff that was decent.

We were given the night free and had been told there was a light show on so Joe, Polly, Amy and I decided we would head up Victoria Peak again to see it from there. Two taxi rides later and we were up top. The view this time was, in my opinnion, so much better than in the day. The whole city looks really really impressive at night. The light show wasnt so impressive, basically sopt lights shone up and some bulidings flashed but it was well worth it to see the city. We taxied it back down and decided to do something a bit more chilled so we went and saw Gran Torino at the cinema. Pretty decent film but considering how extremley racist it is towards Chinese people, made me feel a bit akward. Went back to the hotel and had sleepytimes before our last day!

Tags: hong kong stop over

 
 

 

Travel Answers about Hong Kong

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.