Existing Member?

Kate's European Adventures.

St Patrick's weekend and being a tourist

IRELAND | Monday, 23 March 2009 | Views [502]

What else would you do on the biggest weekend in Dublin of the year but be a tourist. And in keeping with the backpacker tradition, it was all about what free stuff we could do for the weekend.

The best place to start for this weekend is the St Patricks Festival website. They listed all the events that were on over the weekend, with most of them being free. There was a fair on at Merrion Square, so we decided to head down there and take in the National Gallery on the way. I have never seen Dublin as busy as it was on this weekend. People were already getting into the spirit with their novelty hats and t-shirts. Did I really need the fluro green 'Show us your shamrocks' t-shirt?

THe fair at Merrion Square was definately aimed at families, so after the gallery, we headed for a wander through the park behind the square. THe brilliant spring weather saw loads of people doing the same as us. I don't think I'll really get sick of seeing all the lush green grass, such a change from the drought ridden gardens back home in Aus.

Sunday we were up early to be at St Patrick's Cathedral for a free walking tour of Dublin's monastic sites. It was run by this bloke named Pat Liddy, and was well worth it. He knows his stuff about Dublin. We walked all around from there to St Audeon's Cathedral and the original Viking walls that enclosed the city, to Christ Church Cathedral with the bridge that crosses the road. All very impressive once you realise the history behind them.

And just to finish off our day, we took a walk through the grounds of Trinity College.

It's great being a tourist in a different city! I can't wait to see more.

 

 

Travel Answers about Ireland

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.