Existing Member?

Third World Veggie Follow me through SE Asia as I work on my Asia-bod & search for my inner-yogi. If you are looking for travel information or a guide to different SE Asia cities this is NOT the blog for you.

Slow boat to Laos

LAOS | Friday, 3 March 2017 | Views [392]

Continuing our "loop" through SE Asia, we decided to take a slow boat to Laos rather than a painful 24+ hour bus ride. The slow boat was described to us as more of a party scene where people are really social and daydrink while on this cool boat. The boat was fine but I would not describe it as a party scene.... instead we casually sipped on warm drinks while I read an entire book. I think it was an upgrade from what I thought the experwince would be like. We also managed to make some American friends on the boat who became our future hostel roommates. Aside from having an excuse to finally do absolutely nothing but read for two days, the boat offered some amazing views of Laos along the Mekong river.  

View from boat

Slow boat

Sunset

The boat tour states that it takes you to Luang Prabang which is sort of a lie. It takes you to some city 10 km away from Luang Prabang then you must hire an overpriced tuk tuk driver to take you to the city where you are instantly bombarded by local people asking if you want to stay at their hostel.  Laos is such a beautiful country, far more beautiful than I found the views in Thailand. But, they haven't figured out how to be as successful with tourism. Things cost twice as much (OK, yes. I mean $2 instead of $1 but STILL) but the quality is not there. We have also noticed that everything costs money. Want to walk across this bridge that may collapse as you cross to the other side of town? That will be $1. Interested in climbing 50 steps to the top of this hill? Another dollar. We did sit along the river and watch people decide not to cross the bridge once they learned there was a fee. Free for locals though. 

Here is the bridge... That hut you see is where you would pay to cross. Unless the bridge keeper is napping. Then it is your lucky day!

Bamboo bridge

Luang Prabang did have one of the most incredible waterfalls, though! And it was worth the long tuk tuk drive to get there and early wake up to beat the crowds. 

Waterfall

Waterfall

Waterfall 

The final highlight was the night market which had some amazing food and lots of totally useless knickknacks. I still felt the need to buy some things because I am my mother's daughter :) The boys found some snake liquor and the lady selling allowed them to sample!

Snake Liquor 

 

About mtd5116


Follow Me

Where I've been

Photo Galleries

My trip journals



 

 

Travel Answers about Laos

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.