Existing Member?

Hi Mum

Waitomo 5th - 6th May

NEW ZEALAND | Friday, 6 May 2016 | Views [265]

We left hot water beach nice and early (7.30) to head down to Waitomo. On the way we stopped for a short walk at the Karangahake Gorge and we arrived at Waitomo at about 2pm. We checked into our hostel - Kiwi Packer hostel - and chilled for a while, preparing for our afternoon activity of caving. 
 
Our caving trip was called Black Labyrinth and it lasted about 3 hours and involved jumping backwards off the top of waterfalls, tubing and a lot of walking through the caves which was all pretty cool. At one point we were 65 meters underground with all our torches off floating down a freezing cold river in the pitch black. It was good fun and I'm, but I don't know if I would cave again. The best bit about it was the glowworms which live on the roof, they look like stars up there.
 
After caving we warmed up and went to the pub to try one of the home brews there which has won awards apparently. It was alright but not my personal cup of tea. After that it was to bed as we were all exhausted. 

 

About mm12767


Follow Me

Where I've been

Photo Galleries

Highlights

Near Misses

My trip journals



 

 

Travel Answers about New Zealand

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.