Existing Member?

Hi Mum

Hot Water Beach 4th - 5th May

NEW ZEALAND | Thursday, 5 May 2016 | Views [344]

We arrived into hot water beach at about 2pm and set out half an hour later for a walk down to cathedral cove. Cathedral cove is a beach split by a cove and its really beautiful. The water was far too cold to swim but we did paddle and sit on the beach for a while. 
 
After dinner we sat and watched some tv waiting for the tide to go out so that we could go down to hot water beach. Hot water beach is sat on a crack in the earths crust so that when you dig a hole the groundwater is hot, up to 64 degrees, so you can 'dig your own spa'. You can only do it at low tide though because otherwise the hotspot is covered. The day we were there peak low tide was at 10.45pm so we went down at about 9 and started to dig. It was so weird and the water was burning hot. When we were about halfway through digging our spa a lovely Kiwi lady came over to offer us her spa as they were leaving and we were so glad. Firstly, her spa was 100times better than any we could have dug and secondly she left us with candles which was adorable. We sat in our pool looking at the clear night sky and it was fantastic, definitely an evening well spent. 

 

About mm12767


Follow Me

Where I've been

Photo Galleries

Highlights

Near Misses

My trip journals



 

 

Travel Answers about New Zealand

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.