Existing Member?

Hi Mum

Franz Josef 17th - 19th May

NEW ZEALAND | Thursday, 19 May 2016 | Views [385]

We arrived in Franz Josef at around 1 o clock after a fairly short journey and it was a lovely clear day so we went for a short walk up through the rainforest to some tunnels after we checked into our hostel - Rainforest Retreat. Unfortunately because of the bad weather they've had lately the tunnels were flooded so we couldn't go through them but it was still a nice walk. 
 
On the Wednesday we were up at about 8 as we were booked in for a Helicopter flight up to the glacier so that we could do an ice hike across it. We were absolutely gutted to wake up to a cloudy and rainy day which meant that our walk was cancelled. We decided instead to take a shuttle bus to the bottom of the glacier (about 4km away from the town) so that we could take a walk and see the glacier at least. The walk was about an hour and a half and it was brilliant, the clouds cleared whilst we were there meaning that we could see right to the top of the glacier and the walk in general was just brilliant, my favourite that we've done despite the rain. 
 
When we arrived back to the hostel we had dinner, watched a movie and had a drink at the bar and then it was an early night ready for our early start to Wanaka! 

 

 

About mm12767


Follow Me

Where I've been

Photo Galleries

Highlights

Near Misses

My trip journals



 

 

Travel Answers about New Zealand

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.