Existing Member?

Hi Mum

Hoi An 27th February - 1st March

VIETNAM | Tuesday, 1 March 2016 | Views [322]

On the we Saturday we headed to Hoi Ann. The journey ended up being about 5 hours and we arrived about 4ish to check in to out hostel which was called House Backpackers. We walked into the old town and went for dinner at a place I'd read about called 

Morning Glory Streetfood Restaurant. The food there was fantastic and although a bit more expensive (but still less than £15 for all of us) we were all so pleased that we'd finally had vietnamese food that we'd all liked. Becki and I had a Hoi An speciality called Cau Lao, Katie had a beef dish and Amy had a tofu dish. We then took a wander around a market and around the old town. Its so pretty here and definitely my favourite place in Vietnam so far. We tried some of the local delicacies, something called mango cake that tasted like raw pastry wrapped about sweet peanut butter. I was a fan but wouldn't have wanted more than one. 

 
The next day we got up and went for a breakfast at a place called cargo on the river. It was fantastic, Amy had eggs benedict, Katie and I had a selection of pastries and  Becki, ever the sophisticated palate, had coco pops. In veitnam. She would like me to add at this point that she really enjoyed them. 
 
After breakfast we hired bikes (pushbikes because we are far too scared of motorbikes) and cycled over to Cua Dia beach. Its about 5km east of the hostel and was a really nice, easy and flat ride. Since the weather wasn't great we didn't hang around long and cycled 2km north to An Bang beach. Before we left the parking attendant sang us a lovely song about England and us visiting again which was really funny and more than a little odd. 
 
We got lunch at An Bang lunch which was nothing special and took ages because the waiter forgot about us. We cycled back and then hung around at the hostel sorting out our next journeys and stuff like that. For dinner we went to a place called Ba Le Well. The food was great but the actual dining experience was fantastic. The place was frequented mostly by locals and they set down all the food in front of you (theres only one thing on the menu) and then they show you how to make these wraps with the different meats and different veg and shrimp spring rolls. We all loved it and it only cost about £3 each, including a beer. In the evening we met up with some of the friends we'd made on the Halong Bay tour at tiger tiger bar which was really good fun.
 
The next day we got up early to go  on a tour to the marble mountains. Our tour Guide was called Be and was fantastic. She was so funny and so happy. She took us up to the top of one of the 5 marble mountains (that they call Heaven) through all these little caves and then down to a massive cave that they call Hell. She also showed us a cave that was used as a Viet Cong hospital during the war. Its now used a temple and in the corner there is a drip of a water source which is how they got water to the patients during the war. I found it really interesting. We also saw some adorable puppies playing together and I about cried. 
 
After going to (the so called) 'Hell' and back we had lunch at a local restaurant. Becki and Katie had Pho and Amy and I had some unnamed veggie dish. It was fantastic and I wish I knew what it was but I don't think I'll ever find out now. 
 
After lunch we drove to the Monkey Mountain which has some temples and the highest statue in Vietnam. It felt quite Japanese up there with the building, the misty mountains and some bonsai looking trees. It was quite cool. She then took u round the back where there were some monkeys. These ones weren't half as intimidating and in your face as the ones in Sri Lanka and its probably because these ones have been quite severely hunted because the Vietnamese eat monkey (and dog and seemingly anything else that moves). Be was joking that the only thing they won't eat is human... Yet. 
 
We got back to the hostel and wandered down into town for dinner. It was fairly unremarkable.
 
On the river in the old town (which is beautifully covered in lanterns and lights which I love) you can take a boat around and release a small paper basket with a candle in it. Apparently you can make a wish on your lantern and it will come true so after dinner this is exactly what we did. It was adorable even if the ladies selling the lanterns had a minor fight whilst trying to force their lights upon us (that I did not enjoy). 
 
We got up early the next morning to check out and to get breakfast at the Cargo cafe again. It was brilliant once again. We then took a wander to the central market and back again for cakes for lunch. We took a wander around the town for a bit longer had an early dinner (all we seem to do is eat) and waited for the bus. 
 
We're now headed on a 16hour journey to Dalat. We've heard theres not that much to do there since the waterfalls are closed following the recent tragedy so we aren't staying long. I have loved Hoi An. The old town is so lovely and our hostel was in such a great location close by. 
 
I'm currently on the bus to Dalat and the bus driver is a bit mental and a bit angry so it should be an interesting night! Wish me luck. 

 

 

About mm12767


Follow Me

Where I've been

Photo Galleries

Highlights

Near Misses

My trip journals



 

 

Travel Answers about Vietnam

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.