Existing Member?

Travels with Janice

Tiger, Tiger

INDIA | Monday, 12 January 2015 | Views [177]

12 January - Happy 15th Birthday to my niece, Rachael!

This evening I am sitting at the firepit after having listened to/watched a small ensemble of singers/drummers/puppeteers do a little cultural presentation.

We went on 2 "safaris" at the Ranthanbhore National Park (Tiger Preserve) today. The early morning one was really really cold and rather disappointing: it was very foggy and the guide and driver decided to go directly to where they knew a female and 3 younger tigers were feasting on a kill from the day before. It was very difficult to see (fog, trees, tourists) and we really didn't see much of the park and the guide wasn't forthcoming about much if anything -- and it seemed as if we spent hours looking at nothing. HOWEVER-- the afternoon was wonderful. A bit warmer as the sun was mostly out -- and our fearless guide broke the rules and drove up a stream bed and pulled the cantor up within 6 feet of a sleeping male (he didn't even move). This guide also showed us eagles and we had an extensive rude through the park.

It was like riding Indy for 2-3 hours (same jeep sounds and feel) on the Hopland Field Station only with monkeys, peacocks, and banyan trees. If you ever do this, take 2 afternoon safaris and tour the fort in the morning.

PS-- a cantor is like a giant jeep. 21 passengers, a guide, and a driver. Run by the park service. Not sure how they decide which sector you get to see though.

 

 

Travel Answers about India

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.