Existing Member?

Andy & Anita's adventures

Vancouver

CANADA | Thursday, 25 December 2008 | Views [131]




Here we are!! We arrived in our new home at late afternoon on Boxing Day. The fog was thick and the tarmac was covered in snow. It was snowing quite heavily as we passed though customs and imigration, picking up our working visas within about 10 minutes which was very efficient and easy.

Despite how pretty it is snow is very cold and stings if you get it in your eyes, as I quickly discovered!! I have also learnt not to stand under a ledge, as you are likely to have a large quantity of snow slide off the roof above onto your head! (it didnt happen to me but I have seen it happen to other people several times! it is actually quite funny)

The snow is so thick on the ground, about 2 foot in places, and walking is a slippery, precarious challenge. It is funny to see so many cars and houses completely snowed in as people have bunkered down to wait out the storm. Apparently this is a rare sight as the snow usually falls for a day an then melts quickly; but when we arrived there had been 7 days of continual snowfall. Floods are anticipated as it melts over the next few weeks.

We have been very lucky to find a house within a day of arriving. We put an ad on the internet a while back looking for a house and we have had several offers. We are sharing with a great Canadian/Mexican couple and were able to move straight in which has saved our money from being chewed by with hotel fees. We will be living in this apartment (close to downtown) for a few months. The apartment itself is a good size and quite modern. On the outside it is covered in scaffolding because the building is undergoing major renovations. When renovations are complete we will have to move because the rent is going up by a huge amount, but that is not expected until Feb/March.

So far we have been limited with our sightseeing because of the weather and have occupied ourself by shopping for clothes and shoes (we were woefully unprepared for minus degree weather!). Vancouver is clearly an older city but it has a great vibe and the people we have met have been helpful and very friendly. Hopefully we can have a break for a week or two and then we can get jobs and settle in to our new home :-)

 

About miss_nita


Follow Me

Where I've been

Photo Galleries

Highlights

My trip journals


See all my tags 


 

 

Travel Answers about Canada

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.