Existing Member?

Andy & Anita's adventures

The mighty USA

USA | Thursday, 1 January 2009 | Views [255]


New year's eve watching Buckethead play at the Moore theatre in Seattle
Me and My King in Olympia
The Washington state capitol building
Mmm, yum (I think)
At the Mt St Helens national park

For New Year we decided on a short road trip to the USA...

We drove about 4 hours to get to Seattle, got questions fired at us by US customs ("what? you have a working visa for Canada but don't have a job?? Surely there must be something illegal in that..."), and we did the super tourist thing in Seattle - Space needle, old skytram, Pike market, etc). That night be caught the Buckethead show (I think he was the guitarist in Guns and Roses and got his name from playing with a KFC bucket on his head.... but his music is pretty good). That finished at about 11pm but by the time we navigated the somewhat scary streets back to our hotel (Seattle had a very different feel to Vancouver or any Aussie city) we got back just in time to see the fireworks launched off the space needle to bring in the new year. It was fun :-)

We headed as far south as Portland and stayed the next night in Vancouver, Washington. The weather has been on/off (Snow, ice, rain etc) so we went to a movie and wandered the streets during the breaks in the weather. The next day (Andys birthday) we planned to go north to My St Helens but 10 minutes down the road and the car dies on highway 205 - no power, no nothing. We sat on the road for hours and I spent a fortune on my new mobile phone calling my flatmate (the only number in my phone) then the car hire company in Canada, the insurance company, the tow truck and the mechanic. Upside, we got to meet a real life traffic cop!!! haha. So eventually we got towed and spent the day in the Westfield Mall being thoroughly bored. They thought we would be there for 4 days until Tuesday (cause they needed a part from Canada to do the repair) until they found the real problem... an electrical cable had disconnected. By the time we were moving again it was past 7pm so we wrote if off as a bad day, found a motel in Kelso and had 'diner' food for dinner... not a good choice - very greasy!

Today we got an early start, sneaking out of the motel whilst a schizophrenic man terrorised the reception staff (the cops came - we took their picture). We got to Mt St Helens to find the visitors centre closed due to 'inclement weather'. I had my first slip on the road, hitting some black ice when trying to overtake a trailer. I was moving really slow at the time but I cannot tell you how scary it was to see the drop-off on the side of the road approaching and not being able to do a thing about it. You cannot take the weather for granted here ever.

We carried on (Andrew was now in the drivers seat whilst I composed myself :-) ) and stopped by in the state capital of Olympia to see the Capitol building. Go to Andrews page on Facebook for the pics - it was magnificent. We had lunch there too before carrying on to Port Angeles, where I now sit in a $49.99 a night motel 2 blocks from the Ferry terminal. We are catching the ferry over to Victoria on Vancouver Island tomorrow (Back on Canadian Soil... hopefully the food choices will improve! - Yay). We plan to drive up to Nanaimo, catch another ferry to Horseshoe Bay, and be home in time for dinner!

The USA has been great fun. It has met alot of the stereotypes that we have held (Americans are Loud, their money looks all the same and they eat lots of junk food) and quashed others (Supersize doesn't exist anymore!! Andrew was crushed).

P.S. Best part of driving here; you can turn right on a red light!! It would be like taking a left in Australia of course. It takes a bit of getting used to, constantly thinking a cop is going to pull you up and fine you for doing something illegal, but it is surprisingly efficient.

 

About miss_nita


Follow Me

Where I've been

Photo Galleries

Highlights

My trip journals


See all my tags 


 

 

Travel Answers about USA

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.