Existing Member?

Shells Travelling Adventures Snap shot of my life in Canada!

Back to Reality and the Budget

CANADA | Thursday, 9 September 2010 | Views [709]

So going back to work wasn't as hard as I expected once I felt like a normal human being again. The fact that we only have weeks left in this shit hole is keeping us going, for now ha.

The week begining 15th August was really smokey in Calgary because they have a few bush fires in British Columbia. Felt like being back in Aussie with all the smoke from fires. It's cleared now and cos we don't have a TV, not sure if the fires are under control but lets assume they are.

On the 21st we went to a reggae music festival for only $30. Inner Circle played which was awesome! It was really different to a music festival back home, was really family orientated but a good experience. It was really jamacian too, where as back home it's usually got a kiwi, aussie feel to it. Anyway, was fun! Got something to eat though and they tried to rip us off, grrrrrr! They gave us the wrong change back but got the right amount back in the end.

Took me a week to get a new roster out of Sunil, my boss at the new Second Cup. He still hasn't paid me for the hours I did before I left for holidays. He's pretty much an idiot trying to run two businesses, while working full time at both. I called him and went in there everyday until he gave me the roster and did the same with the money. In the end he had lost my hours but didn't want to admit it so we both looked at the old roster and worked out that I did 15 hours, ha I knew I'd only done 13 but let him believe I did 15. So I took the cash advance and then he got his ass in gear and paid me the other day. He now has all my details so there shouldn't be a problem but we'll see this Friday when it's the next pay day.

Things Engraved has to close for renovations in Setember which I knew about but they had said I would get my normal hours at other stores while ours is closed. So we are closing on the 12th and won't be re-opening until the 24th and I only have 16 hours on week and 24 the next, grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr! Pissed off with them! Told them yesterday that it was unfair and they are now giving me an extra shift for each week but it's still not my normal hours and I know it's cos I'm leaving that they don't give a shit. Hopefully it doesn't screw up my savings plan to much.

So we worked out that we need 10k each for our road trip around the States and to Alaska, flights home, itravel and car nsurance etc. We have around 4kCAD each and 3.5kAUS each so it's looking pretty good. However, our lives are extremely boring right now and will be until we leave here.

Found a place in Fernie with lady called Laura. She's probably in her early 30s but she likes wine so I'm sure we will be friends. Going to meet her today to sort final details out. Also, we decided we will leave early and get to Fernie on the 22nd Oct in time for the mountain job fair on the 23rd and 24th.

Marsh's boss gave him $50 to take me out, for his good work. So we went to Eat, Pray, Love a book made into a movie that we read a while ago. It was really good, I cried a bit (actually a lot )haha. Went out for a white hot chocolate afterwards and that's 50 bucks gone! Nice wee outing though, thanks Mike!

That brings me to neighbour Mike, he got kicked out at the end of August. He left his place a a crazy massive mess, shit was everywhere! They had to sand the floors and re-paint everything. All done now and we have a new neighbour Amy who we haven't met yet.

Oh yeah, the bloody sink!! So when we got back from holiday the freakin sink was blocked!! Marsh tried to plunge it and made it worse so we were doing our dishes in a bucket and tipping th water down the toilet haha. Very annoying. Then the tap started dripping a lot. We thought that we had to pay for the fixing of it cos it said in the lease (but the words were very confusing). So we got this handy man to fix the sink and the tap. I had to call the landlord to find where to turn the water off and it was in another ladies appartment and she wasn't home so couldn't do that. He couldn't do the sink in the end either but had spent an hour here so we still had to pay him $110 gggrrrrrrrrr!! That afternoon the landlord came over and a quick plunge of the sink and it was fixed! Next day he did the tap and we were sorted once again, doing dishes normally haha. $110 down the drain but the wording in the lease was real weird.

When we got back from holiday I started getting these itchy bites that got inflamed over night. Started putting tea tree oil them and they went away pretty quickly but I was still getting new bites. Thought it was something in Marsh's sleeping bag cos I would only get eaten if we slept with that sleeping bag so we washed it and I didn't get bitten for a while. Stopped putting tea tree oil on the old bites cos they were pretty much gone and within a day or two they were huge again. Back to the tea tree oil and went to the doctor but it was going to be $100 so thought I'd see how they go. Now it's September and I'm still getting new bites and the old ones haven't gone yet. The pharmasist said they are probably infected if they aren't going away so have now stopped putting anything on them and will see what happens in the next few days. GGGRRRRRRR so annoying being allergic to stuff!!!

Stephen taught me how to download movies etc yesterday so now we have something to watch when we are bored cos we don't have a TV ha, blooy stoked, thanks Step-hen!

Oooo and got a mop chop yesterday so now the hair is much shorter and lighter. No pics to go with the story cos there has been nothing to take snaps of.

Another after thought that I forgot was the lazy ass hole down the street who left a note of our van saying that they would tow us if we didn't get a J permit to park there (we were probably parked outside thier house and they didn't want to walk). They didn't leave a name or number we could talk to them on though, just a threat and a thanks. We are allowed to park there before 9am and after 6pm, overnight legally every night if we want. Which is what we do because we didn't want to change our registration over to Alberta when we are going back to BC. You have to have an Alberta registered vehicle to get the permit but we aren't doing anything wrong so they couldn't do anything anyway. However, Marsh found that you can get a 3 month temporary permit while you change your registration over so we now have a permit until the end of Oct which means now one can threaten us anymore muahahahah.

Tags: save, save, save and do nothing else

 

 

Travel Answers about Canada

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.