Existing Member?

Not only Canada A 10 months trip in North America & amazing walks in my Dolomites

Nova Scotia

CANADA | Saturday, 4 June 2011 | Views [860]

Cabot Trail near Cheticamp, NS

Cabot Trail near Cheticamp, NS

Halifax doesn't really welcome me: the weather is rainy and I discover -too late- that in Nova Scotia I can't ride my bike without a helmet (thanks pretty policewoman). Things starts to go for the best after lunch, when clouds disappear and I meet my new host Ariane. We take a walk up to the Citadel and then in downtown-pretty nice, even if my expectations of Halifax were too high. After some frisbee with others guys and a Mexican dinner all together I go to sleep, waiting for next adventure.

On Friday I drive north on the other side of the province, the Cabot Trail is waiting for me! Driving to Cape Breton Island takes me less time then I had expect, so I decide to visit around the Cabot Trail from the east to the west: Ingonish, Cape North, Pleasant Bay. Unfortunately the weather is bad, but along the road I stop to take some photos of the pink rocks on the coast.. so beautiful here! On the west side is even better: the road has been built really close to the coast, the landscape is absolutly amazing! I drive up to Cheticamp.

I sleep in the car and the next morning I take a walk along the river near the entrance of the Park. I walk with a fellow that I met the night before in a pub: he teach me something about trees and the water of the river, that is sorrounded by big red rocks and became golden thanks to some plants growing underwater.

Late in the morning I'm ready for the famous Skyline Trail! I see my first moose! Here a system of wooden stairs has been built on a hill directly on the ocean and IT'S FANTASTIC even if there is a lot of fog, the ocean is not visible.

Joyful for my trip, I return to the car because today I have to join Maureen and Jeff in Prince Edward Island. I drive all the afternoon up to Caribou, where at 6:30pm I take the ferry for Wood Islands. 

other Province, other adventures! 

Photo album link: "NOVA SCOTIA"

 
 

 

Travel Answers about Canada

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.