Existing Member?

Michael's Small World

Let Saigons be Saigons, and don't get Hanoi'd about it

VIETNAM | Tuesday, 5 February 2008 | Views [1013]

I’ve been in Vietnam for 3 and a half weeks now and I have been pondering how to write this post about the final destination on my trip. Half way up, I had written a speil about the 85 million people, the traffic in Saigon, and how good the food has been. In truth it’s been the most disappointing country I have visited in the ten plus months that I have been away. Ouch…tough intro.

Now, it’s not all been bad. Vietnam is a beautiful country with lots to see. Star Movies, HBO and BBC World from the comfort of my hotel room to name but a few, heh… No, the sand dunes in Mui Ne were pretty cool if you are easily impressed by sand. It was just a shame that the town was boring and smelt like rotting fish. For the latter, the place was famous for making the ubiquitous Fish Sauce. I can’t vouch for the former. Halong Bay’s Limestone Karst scenery was impressive but even that was soured by admin errors which meant that I couldn’t stay one night on the boat. I huffed and puffed back to Hanoi early in protest.

The crux lies in the general mentality of the people here. It’s rather ironic that a country that is still technically under one party communist rule, that its people are such ruthless capitalists. Whether legitimately or a bare faced hustle, its been one constant struggle to fight being conned. Tourist prices apply to everything and the opportunism is rife to get more than something is worth. Now, a hustle is nothing new in South East Asia- especially in Thailand- but there seems certain way of doing it, and in ‘Nam, it more often than not leaves a bad taste in the mouth. You really underestimate how far a smile goes when you don’t see one which doesn’t come before handing over some money. I was speaking to a fellow traveler in Hue, and remarked that Vietnam resembles that weird quiet kid at school that you never really wanted to pick a fight: he’s got hard bones and never says mercy. With such resilient spirit and hard nosed opportunism it’s not surprising they got one over the Americans in the war. Creativity is borne through necessity, and such was witnessed by some of the nasty traps they set in the jungle, and the miles of underground tunnels that they dug against the French.

On a plus note, it was nice to meet up with old traveler friends again, as I saw Breah and Aka, the Aussie couple who I had traveled Lao and Cambodia with. They were always 4/5 days ahead of me so I was glad to finally catch up with them in Hanoi before they flew back.

I also managed to buy 7 kilos of tailored clothing in Hoi An, a charming UNESCO World heritage site. Certainly my favourite place in Vietnam as there was a real charm about its rickety old houses, narrow streets, and slow riverside setting. It also had some of the best food. The tiny market stalls with their toddler sized plastic stools were home to some of the best food I’ve had in Asia. Bun Thit Nuong (Grilled Meat with Noodles) was a really special combo of rice vermicelli, fresh all sorted greens, BBQ’d “meat”, and a peanut sauce, all mixed together. It got to the point that I was waving to the owner every time I passed the stall.

So….home. The 15th of Feb to be precise. I’ve been dreaming about it more and more in some manifestation or another. One involving a pub with the lads, another being kidnapped…Heh, after 11 months away, it’ll be about time. After my exit strategy of Bangkok, China, and Chinese New Year in Hong Kong, I look forward to seeing you all.

Till the next post, keep well and take care of yourselves.

Michael x

Tags: Scams & Robberies

 

 

Travel Answers about Vietnam

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.