Existing Member?

Michael's Small World

Lao Encompassed

LAOS | Thursday, 20 December 2007 | Views [851]

Lao has been an interesting leg of my South East Asia trip. Its unlike any other place in these parts, for reasons not yet fully known. The place is a contrast from place to place but not in an obvious way. It’s not a simple dichotomy of rich/poor, developed/undeveloped, modern/rural etc, rather that each place has its charm for different reasons. It’s a place where there is so much diversity the people, seen by loads of hill tribes, one of which we visited on our trek north of Luang Nam Tha. It was what I imagined England was in the middle ages- really basic shack homes, no electricity, beliefs based on spirits, and hugely under developed. Then you have Luang Prabang, the old royal capital and a UNESCO heritage site, which is one of the best cities I have visited on my travels. With its massive French influence it’s like being in Europe in the middle of South East Asia. The food has been great too with fresh baguettes, French/Laotian fusion cuisine, outside vendors selling BBQ anything, and of course the ubiquitous Beer Lao. It was just a shame that I had a stomach bug which made me lose my appetite. Not that Ilet that stop me. The mighty Mekong surrounds the peninsula as its slowly churns through Lao, passing through Camdobia, then filtering out in Vietnam. The Mekong has been a huge part of the environment in these part, as it will continue to be after I leave Lao. It will be a while before I forget the journey towards Luang Prabang in a slow boat from Muang Ngoi, a sparse but quaint village in the north east, with incredible mountain views from the hut balconies.

    

 

Hitting Vang Vieng was strange- a town where Friends was shown at every bar and it was the premier Tubing spot. Tubing is one of the most relaxing and lazy activities I’ve done. It involves you floating down a 5km stretch of river in a massive inflatable tube, whilst getting pulled into riverside bars by massive bamboo sticks and drinking lots of Beer Lao. If you start at 12pm, you’ll be lucky to get back into town before sunset. This little town is really chilled, and a great place to sit back, read a book and soak up the landscape. The weather has taken a turn for the better also and the sun during the day is a godsend after the freezing north. All this hot and cold will take its toll, least of which on my above regulation weight backpack. I am off to Cambodia next where I will be spending Christmas and New Years in 33-38C heat which will be a first. It’s been weird as there has been no indication of Christmas in these parts apart from a seasonal Diana Krall CD in the posh coffee shops in Vientienne. In any case, have a very Merry Christmas to you all, in particular to my family, and may you have a great year to come. I miss you all in one way or another, so take care of yourself and others.

 

Much Love,
 

 

Michael x

Tags: Sightseeing

 

 

Travel Answers about Laos

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.