Existing Member?

Not all who wander are lost. I'm letting the world change me... so I can change the world.

Teeth

BELIZE | Tuesday, 2 October 2007 | Views [597] | Comments [1]

 I need to vent about teeth. Dental hygiene, tooth brushes, floss – it’s like none of these things exists down here. The two year old I live with has both front teeth rotting, due to the amount of sugar, sweets and chips his grandmother gives him. How can my brushing his teeth twice a day combat that? I had out toothbrushes and talk with kids and mothers about the importance of healthy teeth, and when the mothers smile back I see missing teeth, black holes or gold fillings.

That seems to be a fashion accessory here, the women I live with; Ms. WeWe has gold stars on her front top teeth to cover the holes that are there. I realize that dental hygiene is not at the top of the survival list – but it is so painful to see young kids with missing teeth or when they smile, you can see the rot that has eaten their back teeth.

 Last week, a boy came to the clinic after an accident at the school. He fell and busted his lips and the fall, pushed his two front teeth back into his gums. When the teacher brought him in, he was covered in blood and crying. The blood is understandable, but it was a shock to see a Mayan male child cry. Except for the babies, boys are told that they cannot cry and usually are punished if they do. (At least, this is how it is in my village) Brandon, the child, had is mouth rinsed and cleaned by Handa and myself and was then referred to the dentist in PG. When his mother came, she spoke with the Doctor, got the referral then came for Brandon in triage. Sitting with him, I looked into his mouth again and saw that the two teeth pushed back were odd in color and had signs of decay. Maybe getting the teeth pulled would be for the best.

 Needless to say…it was an experience.

 From a world were most have perfect, straight, white teeth – it is a change to see the Mayan world of dental hygiene.

Tags: Doctors, hospitals & health

Comments

1

Oh my gosh the teeth were terrible eh! Ut was definately hard for me to see that down there, many kids' teeth were just black esp where they meet the gumline. Keep on the kids Megs, remind them how important it is, and just believe you are getting your msg across.
Keep on truckin'
Lex

  alexis boston Oct 4, 2007 4:53 AM

 

 

Travel Answers about Belize

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.