Existing Member?

Not all who wander are lost. I'm letting the world change me... so I can change the world.

Issues with the Foreigners

BELIZE | Tuesday, 2 October 2007 | Views [526]

It’s been busy at the clinic these past weeks. Health Education (which is me) has developed a De-Licing program for all 26 communities we serve, offering education and treatment needed to school age children. It is hard to get people in the clinic to help when its not there area, but being a health service, you would think it was ALL in their areas. The rural health nurse, who is supposed to be like a boss, thinks her only job at the clinic is to give injections. When in reality, the RHN is to provide Maternal Child Health, triage and emergency services to the clinic and villagers at all times. That is impossible, as she refuses to live in San Antonio. A “wasteland, with flies, mosquitoes and poor Mayans” she calls it. Her idea of paradise is Africa, where there is nothing wrong, no one is hungry or sick, and all are wealthy. Have you seen the news? That is not the image I get of Darfur, Uganda or any other number of countries in Africa. I think she needs to have her head checked.

We are having a staff problem in San Antonio. The Cubans are sneaking and plotting and the Nigerians are whinny and big complainers. It amazes me that we are all in the health field, yet on most days, helping people is the farthest thing from their minds. I know that it is my naïve mind that thinks we should all help out humanity and put others in need above ourselves – I know that I am in the minority. Even the administration of the Primary Care Providers is skewed. Some trying to help the rural communities and others are trying to deepen their pocketbooks and compete with their co-workers. It is a crazy world we live in.

 Oh, another problem in the clinic is the obsessive, hard to understand, manipulative, God-complexed pharmacist. When Alexis was here, he would profess his love to her everyday. Talking to her about life, and how destiny brought her here to Belize for him. Now that she is gone, his attention has turned to me. It’s like having a controlling parent or obsessed boyfriend that hovers around you all the time. Asking what you are doing, where are you going, why are you going there, who will be there… AHHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!

Luckily, Eva (my boss) and I get to have a good laugh about the week’s events every weekend when I come to PG and stay with her. My own mum back home doesn’t like him and Eva has joined in that opinion. The best defense, I have found, is to use my American sarcasm, confidence and attitude to combat him. To him, women are to be soft spoken, submissive and meek. None of which are in my personality and I find adding a bit of ‘Diva” helps keep him away.

Tags: People

 

 

Travel Answers about Belize

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.