Existing Member?

Not all who wander are lost. I'm letting the world change me... so I can change the world.

San Antonio

BELIZE | Saturday, 11 August 2007 | Views [433] | Comments [1]

It’s a 15 minute walk from my new home in San Antonio to the clinic - all on the hilly road that winds through the Belizean jungle. The clinic is small, a pre-fab home from Belize City that host 12 staff members, doctor, nurses, pharmacist, health workers and data entry clerks. The San Antonio PCP cares for over 40,000 people in the Toledo district, with 3 satellite clinics and 23 mobile clinics. Illnesses from worms and scabies, pregnancy to cuts are treated at the clinic. I have had the opportunity to help the nurse at the mobile clinic, registering patients, taking vitals and taking care of children while their mothers see the doctor.

Living in San Antonio has been an adjustment. We have running water and electricity - but use and outhouse, have chickens and pgs run around the yard, and use an out door kitchen to cook. Different than back home with AC, satellite and fast-food. We eat a basic Maya diet - tortillas, rice and beans. Ms. WeWe makes sure that we get veggies to eat - so lots of avocados, bamboo shoots, and tomatoes. I’d give anything for a Cherry Limeade and fries.

 

The work is challenge - mostly with the language barrier. Most villager speak some English, but its mostly Maya or Kechi. A friendly group of people, they seem open to sharing their lives and village with us, but seem to have a questioning look in their eyes. I’m sure its wondering what the 2 white girls are doing in their homes. Health Chats start Monday on diabetes, and will follow with hygiene, healthy teeth and hypertension. Things I know little about, and need to learn fast to teach others.

I miss home at times - more, I miss being connected with people. Having limited internet and phone access is both frustrating and tiring. A phone call home is an ordeal, trying to get a line out and keeping a signal long enough to say hello. Worry continues for what I will be able to accomplish here with the women and children, the Maya who speak little and are too shy. I am getting use to the sounds of the jungle though - something that I could only experience here and now. And, I’m glad for it.

Tags: Culture

Comments

1

Megan, I am so proud of you. You are in my prayers. You have a once in a lifetime experience that will be with you forever. I love you
Aunt Susie

  Aunt Susie Sep 6, 2007 10:28 PM

 

 

Travel Answers about Belize

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.