Existing Member?

Not all who wander are lost. I'm letting the world change me... so I can change the world.

Don't trust the potato salad

BELIZE | Thursday, 2 August 2007 | Views [497]

When in a new place, its customs to try the local foods and expeirce what the cultre has to offer. This is well and good- excpet when you eat bad potato salad, get food poisening and have to vist the local hospital.

In Belmopan the local BBQ pit was too tempting to miss, so dining on chicken, rice and beans, potato salad and fired plantains the group was stuffed and ready to head out to Dangriga. The details of my illness make my stomach queasy, so I won't share. Let's just say - it wasn't pretty. Three of our group went to the hospital in fear of dehydration, after IV's, antibiotics, and rehydration packets they were sent home.

It sucks being sick when your in Paradise. The house in Dangriga that I am staying at is 100ft from the Caribbean Sea, the market square is a block away and the Garfuni drum circle goes off every night. Luckily, after a day I started to feel better and was able to go snorkeling at Tobacco Key 3 miles off the mainland.

So, being free and open to new things - just don't trust the potato salad

Tags: Doctors, hospitals & health

 

 

Travel Answers about Belize

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.