Existing Member?

Not all who wander are lost. I'm letting the world change me... so I can change the world.

Menzies Children's Home

BELIZE | Friday, 27 July 2007 | Views [523] | Comments [1]

Working at Menzies Children’s Home was so rewarding. The children there all have experience with abuse, neglect and sexual assault. There were so many families, groups of brothers and sisters, living at the home together waiting for the cases to go through the courts or for a relative or stranger to adopt them.

It’s not fair to have favorites when working with these kids- yet, in a heartbeat I would have taken two little girls back home with me to the states. Sonya and Celestine, 5 and 8, Hispanic with long dark hair and the biggest smiles you have ever seen. I think what drew me to them, was ho much they reminded me of Zoey, so full of life. Yet, just as with all the other kids, you could see the innocence lost in their eyes and how some sprits had been broken.  The stories from that place can make you cringe, what’s worse is that it happens everyday all over the world, and in many cases, is worse than what I learned of in Belize City.

"Let the world change you... and you can change the world." I first read that quote from movie case, sensing the power of its meaning, but sitting with children who have lost everything, been betrayed by those who were suppose to love and protect them, and still have a smile, changes you. I realize now, sooner than I thought, the power of what I am doing here. That reading a book to a child and getting a smile in return means more than going to the movies with friends, and having a child who has only known you for three days tell you "I love you" is more valuable than money.

Tags: Work

Comments

1

Megan, you are an amazing person for taking this journey and I am truly proud to not only be your mother but also to be your friend!

  Paula Jul 28, 2007 2:40 PM

 

 

Travel Answers about Belize

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.