Existing Member?

Not all who wander are lost. I'm letting the world change me... so I can change the world.

Let's talk about sex.

BELIZE | Wednesday, 14 November 2007 | Views [667]

It has been over 5 months since I have been able to talk about sex. That’s a long time to not talk about condoms, lubricants, orgasm’s, safer sex and at all the other fun things that have to do with sex. Mind you, the conversation that I finally had down here was nothing compared to the chats I had at AXO or at DCAP with my fellow interns, but it’s a start. After my first Mother Support Group, I walked onto the clinics veranda after hearing laughing and giggling. A small group of women, about 5 or 6, were standing and laughing at a brochure one held in her hand. When I asked what was so funny, the women got shy, but finally one spoke up; “is this real?” pointing to a photo of a severe case of Chlamydia on the sheet. Imagine gross, flesh colored cauliflower growths on a penis. There is your mental image. When I told them that is was a bad, untreated case of an STI they stopped laughing. I chatted with the women about the various STI’s that affect men and women, the importance of using condoms and that having few sexual partners helps decrease your chance of contracting an STI, and answered questions for them. It was decided that my next Women’s Support Group would cover women’s bodies and their sexual health, since, I am told, very few women in the villages know about their bodies. So, that was my sex chat. Nothing as exciting as condoms on a banana or taste testing flavored lubricant, but, it was a huge step for the women of my village. To have the courage to ask and to overcome the fear of knowing.

Tags: Random

 

 

Travel Answers about Belize

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.