Existing Member?

Not all who wander are lost. I'm letting the world change me... so I can change the world.

Garifuna Settlement Day.

BELIZE | Wednesday, 21 November 2007 | Views [545]

The celebration for the 19th started on the 17th. You could tell that something was happening, drums could be heard from all over PG, a tell-tale sign that the Garifuna community was celebrating. Saturday started the 16 days of Activism done ere in the Caribbean and all over the world. There was the 3rd annual Torch Run, sponsored by WIN-Belize and Plenty, started here in PG and will travel throughout the 6 districts and end in BZE City. The goal of the run is to end Gender-Based Violence and Discrimination against persons with HIV/AIDS. I got to pass out flyers and condoms (something I love to do) assist with the run and then got to eat lunch which consisted of Hodut and fish soup (very tasty) Later that night I went out and saw drumming at the community building and then headed out to the clubs with all the young people. Partying here in Belize is hard core, I thought it was rough in college. You start out around 8pm with the live drumming the head to the clubs and bars until dawn. Go home and sleep, then head out again to repeat the process. Sunday morning, you walk from whatever club or bar you have been at all night, join in the parade to church, sit through a Garifuna Mass then go home and sleep. Like I said, hardcore. The weekend was a blast. The drumming is absolutely amazing to hear and see, it is such an event. The food is great and the sense of cultural pride from the Garifuna community is enough to make you jealous.

Tags: Culture

 

 

Travel Answers about Belize

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.