Existing Member?

The adventures of the Mel

My thoughts on Croatia

CROATIA | Sunday, 16 October 2011 | Views [764] | Comments [1]

I'll keep this brief, namely because I've been tapping out the Dubrovnik tale for the past hour and my hands are a little sore.

Croatia was an amazingly beautiful country and I'm sad I only had two weeks to experience it in. It's full of not only natural beauty, but an inherent friendliness in the locals. They don't seem to resent tourists like many countries do - they were always warm and welcoming, eager to practice their English even when my butt-head husband spoke to them in English first. Another thing I really noticed is how safe I felt there. Usually when we travel I have a hand on my bag at all times, in particular when people get close or talk to you....but not here. Nobody was threatening or dodgy; everyone was just going about their daily lives and if they could help you they would. It was absolutely lovely not to be targeted because you're a tourist. Even in Dubrovnik you weren't accosted by people trying to sell you stuff - the only difference was that the people from restaurants would try to convince you to eat there.

Overall it was a great couple of weeks with some actual holiday in there, even if I did have to work through it. I will definitely return to Croatia at some point in the future. I couldn't think of much I didn't like!

Bottom three

3. Number of smokers everywhere

2. Too many people in Dubrovnik

1. Jetlag

Top nine

9. Having a hire car

8. Feeling safe all the time

7. All the stray cats being super friendly and pattable

6. Swimming all the time in the gorgeous coloured water

5. Vegetarian food in Dubrovnik

4. Spending a week on isolated Vis

3. The wonderfully friendly locals

2. The isolated beach on Vis lined by cliffs

1. Plitvice Lakes National Park

Peace out!

Comments

1

I wonder if that is because, after years of war, having people come to the country is still wonderfully affirming and supportive for the people?

  Sal Oct 16, 2011 7:45 PM

 

 

Travel Answers about Croatia

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.