Existing Member?

The adventures of the Mel

Footnote...

AUSTRIA | Monday, 18 August 2008 | Views [739] | Comments [4]

Holy crap! I nearly forgot my summary! Here it is folks, sorry to keep you waiting.

Bottom Five:

5. The cities kinda blending in together - pretty but not much variation.

4. Walking back from Cristalwelten - four hours of pain, thirst and hot!! (yeah, yeah, our fault. Shaddup)

3. Internet (in particular wireless) being extraordinarily difficult to find at a decent price. No I do not want to pay 7 euros an hour, thankyou.

2. Being unable to find an extra adaptor that fits Australian plugs - you would not believe how hard it is! 

1. The jerkfaces who threw out our food yesterday. You are jerks.

Top five:

5. Vienna

4. The Travelshack in Vienna - free wireless, toasted vegemite sandwiches...you guys rock.

3. The beautiful extra decorations on the buildings, possibly superfluous but aesthetically pleasing nonetheless.

2. The unexpected friendliness of Austrians - I´m glad to say that I´ve shattered my stereotype.

1. The mountainous hiking areas (and hell, the town itself) around Innsbruck.

And that´s a wrap. Well, almost. I am announcing my intentions (partly so I don´t chicken out) to change my plans at the end of the year - rather than go to Russia and China, I am thinking of volunteering working with disadvantaged children in India. What do you think? There are a number of places to do it...I´m probably leaning towards New Delhi. I know there are a few people out there who have been to India...what places did you enjoy? Not enjoy? Apprehensive about? Input appreciated!

XX

 

Comments

1

Mel, Mel, Mel!!!
Commendable as your intentions are surely there are many disadvantaged children in aboriginal settlements here in Australia that would love to have the chance of your support and guidance. Plus of course you will be closer to home and much cheaper to visit! I must qualify this by saying that my experiences in India were not good and I have no desire to ever return there. Can't wait till we catch up with you in Rome.
Love to you both,
Gerard, Jayne and Jordan.

  Gerard Aug 19, 2008 10:00 AM

2

I've not heard many good things about India... if you want a similar experience I would go to Nepal, plenty of disadvantaged children there and a lovely place with lovely people. I'm sure Dogbait has some words of advice re India!

  Jenny Aug 19, 2008 2:27 PM

3

Just how long do you plan to help these disadvantaged children? We miss you and want you to come home.

  Gloria Aug 21, 2008 9:09 PM

4

I'm sorry Mel, but I have to agree with Gerard, there are lots of kids that need your help back here and we would love to have you closer to home. The thing that scares me most about India, Africa and the like is the risk you put yourself at of catching some types of weird and wonderful fatal diseases, we would love to see you grow old. Love Jayne

  Jayne Aug 21, 2008 9:50 PM

 

 

Travel Answers about Austria

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.