Existing Member?

The adventures of the Mel

Still in Quito....

ECUADOR | Saturday, 14 June 2008 | Views [882] | Comments [1]

Well, we’re still in Quito, and we’re not entirely sure when we’re leaving. We’ve had…..some difficulty obtaining a Brazilian visa for Snuffy. We could call them many, many four letter words, and indeed we have. We are probably not going to get to Brazil.

Andrew went to the embassy before we left for the Galapagos to find out what he needed to give them to get a new visa (he did get one when I did, but as we already know his passport was stolen).  They sent him off to get a new yellow fever vaccination (because they won’t accept a copy that the place where he got it can email to him), plane tickets to show that he’s leaving Brazil (needs to get these replaced because they were stolen), evidence of the ability to support himself (credit card (which we were awaiting) or bank statements), amongst other things.

So, he organised these things and submitted them the day after we got back from Galapagos. They took it all in and told him to turn up the next day, when the bastards told him that because it was an emergency passport, this wasn’t good enough and they needed evidence from his employer. Andrew spent about half an hour trying to tell them that he was no longer employed because he was travelling for a year, and finally they sent him back to get three months worth of bank statements. Fuming, Andrew printed them off and submitted them.

The next day he was told this wasn’t enough and they needed a print off of what was in his account that day. After very begrudgingly obliging, he found out that it didn’t matter that he has more than enough to last him the rest of the year in his account and they flat out refused to give him a Brazilian visa. He argued with them, telling them he already had a visa but it got stolen, that I have a visa, we have tickets etc etc. Apparently they are applying the same rules that Australians do to Brazilians – that you must be employed to come into the country.

Andrew came back livid and went and checked the net – apparently you only need to have about $2000 to support yourself both ways (Brazilian entering Oz and vice versa). So off he trumped with this information back to the Brazil and they were complete assholes. They didn’t care about anything Andrew had to say and just ignore the evidence he provided and stuck with their crappy ass decision. So….we now have to call Qantas to try to change our flights because we can’t get into Brazil. F**KING BRAZIL!!!!

On the bright side, we’ve found some great places that do fantastic vegetarian meals, so we’ve been eating like kings here in Quito. Plus, there is a restaurant not far from where we’re staying that does the most amazing crepes. They have ice-cream and are filled with dulce de leche, which means sweet milk. It is essentially caramelised condensed milk, better known as yum or sometimes orgasm. So whilst Brazil has been buttf**king us, we’ve been eating yummy things and doing ABSOLUTELY nothing, having a good time relaxing. Yeah, yeah, I hear you say, I’ve been on holiday for 5 months. Well, travelling is bloody exhausting and I’m so glad to sit in my hotel room, watch TV and snuggle with Snuffy. It’s been great.

Hopefully my next post I’ll have an idea of what the hell I’m doing over the next little while. Hope you’re doing better than my boy!

XX

Comments

1

Beejeebus, I wouldn't have thought it would be so hard to get into Brazil. Don't suppose the Australian Embassy can do anything to help?
Wonder what is up their collective bureaucratic arses?

  Sally Jun 14, 2008 11:54 AM

 

 

Travel Answers about Ecuador

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.